2.17.2013

About a dog

It was just shortly after we moved out of an apartment and into our own home that Scott started talking about a dog.  He kind of just mentioned it in passing here and there.  I considered myself "not a dog person".  He'd grown up with a little dog sleeping with him. He loved that dog, and when it died after 17 years this was the first time I saw Scotty cry.  

One spring day Scotty rolled in the driveway with a smile a mile wide.  He hopped out carrying a furry yellow bundle. A sweet little pup. The kids were immediately hooked. Asher carted her around under with both arms. She was nearly as big as he was.  Those first few nights Scotty was like a new Mother, up all night with her crying newborn.  He slept by her little bed he'd made.  

She grew and became just what he was hoping for, a work dog.  Every morning I'd hear the roar of the diesel truck and Scotty would call out, "load up Claire".  Off the the team went.  He'd build homes and she'd win the admiration of co-workers and homeowners with her sweet manners and funny quirks like lying on top of the cab of his truck with her paws draped down the windshield.  

People would comment what an obedient dog she was.  Scotty trained her well, and she was eager to please.  When we took her hiking and she couldn't stay out of the water.  


 When Scotty got sick Claire didn't get to go to work any more. Our family's life changed and that included her.  I didn't think about her life changing.  I was so focused on my children and Scott.
After 6 weeks of not seeing his dog Scott came home from the hospital and met her in the driveway.
It was a happy reunion and brought tears to my eyes.

Our life never became what it was, and Claire didn't go to work anymore. Eventually, it was decided she needed a home that could give her more of what she really needed. We found her a home. An older man and his wife who had a dog and loved to hike and run.  There were tears and questions. Explaining to your children that we weren't enough was hard. The guilt was immense for me.  These little children couldn't be expected to provide all a dog needs, and Scott no longer could. It fell on me, and I wasn't getting it done.  I could not commit to giving Claire what she needed and everyone else in my family.  

The children were sad, and wanted to visit her, and we did.  She ran to greet us and we felt better knowing she hadn't forgotten us and didn't hold any hard feelings.  She nuzzled in between Scott's knees while he sat in his wheelchair.  She returned to him over and over. She obeyed his commands to sit.  When we left the tears and questions were back. Visiting was good, but hard.

Last week I got a call from Claire's adopted owners.  She was old. She was in pain.  It was time to say goodbye.  My words choked in my throat when I asked if he could wait until we could come.  I held onto this information until the day came to visit.  I didn't want to see the sadness longer than I had to.  
Scott left school early, I checked the kids out early and we drove over.  
We waited in the garage, and here she came hobbling to us.  She nuzzled into Scott's lap.  
Sitting was too painful, so she just stood and wagged her tail.  We talked about our favorite memories. The Overson's talked about a long hot hike in southern Utah.  No water in site.  They'd stopped for a break and Claire disappeared. When she finally returned she was soaking wet.  She'd found the only water in the area. She led them to it and they all dipped their hats.  We talked about what a happy dog she is.  Even in pain.  The Overson's told us they thought she was the happiest dog they'd ever met.  We thanked them for loving her.  Everyone said their goodbyes.

I'm thankful Scotty brought home that little pup. She has brought joy to many people's lives.


4 comments:

Denise said...

I am NOT a dog person, I'm not any type of animal person... that being said I just cried. And I can no longer play the pregnant/raging hormone card. What a sweet sweet story.

Jen said...

I'm with Denise - no dogs for me but I too cried! That was so sweet! Dogs are good people! xooxox

Em said...

Well I finally read it, despite the messy tears. You did the very best you could for Claire & when you visited her for the last time I promise you that dog held nothing but joy in her heart at the sight of your faces & familiar touch. The Overson's clearly gave her the 2nd family she needed when your life changed dramatically. When someone dies, we focus on age. Only so old, it was too soon, it was cut short. This makes every dog story extremely tragic. But what we should ask is, was it a good life? Claire could have lived a 100 years at the end of a chain in someone's yard and this would be a sad story, but she lived 11 wonderful years as Scott's companion, your children's playfriend & the Overson's trailblazer. This story is making me cry profusely but its a happy one Amy. I love dogs & I love you. Thank you for sharing.

JP Anderson said...

Claire was an exceptional dog. Scott took work serious and she knew it. I never saw him get frustrated with her on the job. She gave us great breaks, mostly playing fetch. I have recently been frustrated with my dog but this has reminded me of the unconditional love they have toward us and strengthens my resolve to try new angles to better our relationship. Say hi to Tory and Brutus and all my other dogs in heaven Claire.