5.03.2011

Burley

I've wanted to make a trip to Burley for some time.
I needed to go.
On Friday the stars aligned and I was able to go.
Scotty kept the oldest three and wrangled soccer games, Saturday chores, and a late Friday night party.
I left Cole and Grace and Grandma and Grandpa's house.


 Grandma was busy baking tons of pies for the ward Scout auction. Mind you it was only 9 am, and she was wrapping up the last few here. 
Here's Grandpa with 2 new knees only a few weeks old. 
His therapist told him she'd never seen anyone with Dad's range of motion in such a short time.
Turns out he needs no outpatient therapy because he's done it all himself. 
No surprise there, Dad's a machine. 
77 this year- psh! He's got the knees of a 14 year old.

 I grew up in Burley, but my parents moved to Utah shortly after I was married.
I lived in one house until about 5 and then the other until I left for college. 
It holds all my childhood memories. Just driving through that little town
brings back floods of memories. 

Parades, early morning Mayfair sales, fancy jeans at Ropers, sidewalk sale days, waitressing at Perkins, making sandwiches at Subway, cleaning hotel rooms at the Best Western, and working at McD's with Jen, going to DQ after my baptism with the family, tree forts, weed forts, burning our own trash, walking the ditch banks with Mom, picking wild asparagus, running in the borrow pit to Shannon's house, sleepovers on the huge deck that Dad built, running through the sprinklers and sleeping on the trampoline, running across the street to Tonya's house, making Dad late for work when we missed the bus, walking home from elementary school, making a chalk city for our bikes, teen dances, taking our garden produce to enter it in the fair early in the morning. 
I guess for many people who know of Burley they wrinkle their nose up at the little town, but I grew up there. It holds so many fantastic memories with wonderful people.  

My real purpose for going to Burley was to visit my friend Shannon. 
We've been friends since we were 5.  
She recently had a Birthday and she has a lot going on in her life.
Her sweet baby Mallory has many medical challenges.
She is as sweet as they come and I think she particularly likes me.
I can get a smile out of her with ease. Shannon is a vigilant, valiant, sacrificing, loving Mother. 
She is also one of those friends that you get together with and pick right up where you left off. 

We had lunch at Spinners and chatted about life and High School and friends.
Then we stopped by our favorite Young Women's leader's house.
We visited and made plans to get back together later that night.


Shannon took her kids for haircuts and I picked up Wendy and went to see an old family friend,
 Mae Mabey (Jones) at the Care Center. 
This use to be the hospital and was the hospital I and several of my siblings were born in. 


Mae has suffered a stroke, and I was unsure of what to expect, but 
she was as spunky as ever. She cracked jokes and reminisced with us. I felt her sorrow for the loss of some of her physical abilities, but she told us all the ways she keeps her mind working- puzzles, sudoku, cards. Mom use to go to Mae's and clean house or help take care of Grandma, and oh the VHS collection Mae had. We checked out some great flicks from Mae. She was the Netflix of the 90's.
She was so happy to see us, and it was a stop I was so glad I made. 

Of course I had to drive down Sandy Glen and see the old lane. 
This is our house. Look at those bushes! Mom would be out there trimming those down yesterday!
My parents kept a beautiful yard and it was an acre of landscaping, garden, raspberry patch, and an orchard.
I felt a bit like a stalker here, but i had to show everyone that they took down the 
front room wall! You can see right out the back door. 
Shannon, Livy and I went out to Kiwi Loco to visit G.J. at work. 
I tried my best to embarass her and all I got was an eye roll. 
Ah well. 

These are Shannon's 3 oldest kids enjoying a pizza night with Daddy while we went out for dinner. 

After dinner Shannon and I visited with Janet until 2 in the  morning. We talked and cried and laughed until our stomachs hurt. Janet has lost two children. Her oldest was 5 years old and I was his babysitter.  She lost her baby after only 2 months because of the physical challenges she was born with.  I cannot understand the pain Janet has endured. She is a tremendous woman and a dear friend. 
Each of us has been through heavy trials, and it was uniting to talk about those and to share insight. 

Saturday morning Wendy made me breakfast with this rancid butter. 
Okay, maybe not rancid, but she keeps it in her cupboard like Grandma did. 
It's salted butter, so I'll forgive, but I had to tease her a bit. 

To wrap up the visit Wendy and the girls and I went to Kiwi Loco for breakfast yogurt. 
I stopped by Shannon's and said goodbye on the way out of town. 



This is what greeted me as I pulled into my parents. Looks like the kids had a good time.
And this is what we came home with. 
A cherry pie bought at auction by Cole and some of Grandma's chicken's eggs.
Grandpa told me Cole came in early Saturday morning from the coop with a grin on his face. 
"Guess what I have Grandpa?"
And then he pulled a warm chicken egg out of each pocket. 








Early this morning (Tuesday May 3rd) Shannon called. 
Mallory had returned home to her Heavenly Father. 
My heart is heavy.  I am so glad that I made this trip to be with Shannon. 
My testimony of the Lord's hand in our lives is strengthened.
He knows each of us. He knows our pain. He will succor us. 

13 comments:

Tonya said...

We had great times growing up in small Burley! Sounds like it was perfect timing. So sad for Shannon's loss.

Jen said...

OHHH I regret not getting to go with you. Thanks for listening to your promptings to go Aim! I love you and I love Burley and every wonderful friend we have from growing up.

shawn rowley said...

Some of the most profound works of the heart come from the small town soul. Bless your soul. My heart is heavy for your friend.

Katie said...

Wow. This brought tears to my eyes. I loved this post, brought back so many of my warm childhood memories, and thoughts of the people who were there to live it with me. What a wonderful trip and what love you came home too. I just was NOT expecting that ending. I'm literally sobbing. My heart goes out to your friend. I'm so glad the stars aligned and you were able to go be with her.

Anonymous said...

This was a lovely post, Aim.

JP Anderson said...

There isn't much that makes me happier than reminiscing about my childhood with my childhood friends. I'm sure the same goes for Shannon. You're amazing Amy. I'm sure she will forever be grateful for your visit and your late night talk with Janet. How the Lord is oh, so watchful over us.

Terri said...

What a blessing this weekend was for you all. Heavenly Father is oh so aware of each of us and what we need to make it it threw another Tuesday.Im touched at your sensitivity and Shannons courage.

Molly Thorne said...

I also love hearing about Burley. It was a fabulous childhood. I'm so sorry about Shannon, what a good friend you are.

Dallmann's said...

What a fun trip down memory lane. I have a confession that when I do make it to Burley I often times drive down Sandy Glenn Lane just to see your old house. I spent many a days hanging out there and absolutely loved every detail of it. I miss my friends so much and wish I spend some fun quality time with all of you again. I was happy to see the picture of Janet. I was just thinking and wondering about her this weekend. Funny. I didn't know about the loss of her second child. I used to babysit Clark when he was a baby. I remember him spitting peas at me. I certainly was not expecting you to end with the loss of Shannon's baby. My heart dropped and I'm so sorry. You girls have always been a great bunch and I am so blessed to have grown up with you.

Em said...

I'm so pleased, as everyone is, you made the trip. And documented so many things I too miss. Those people needed to see you Amy, you bring a lot of joy. Mae, Shannon, Wendy, & Janet all were uplifted by your visit. And, of course, you as well.

Jen said...

I love you Heather! I drive by your house when I go to Burley! Move to Boise!

crush said...

Aim. Just saw this post. I am so sorry for your friend. What an amazing, incredible woman she must be. I am so glad you got to go and be with a friend. You can make everyone laugh and would be a comfort to have around at anytime. I know I'm counting on it when we have to leave. Plus, Brett owes it to your mom to stay with her! :o)

Ging said...

What a perfect walk down memory-lane. I am getting old and forgetting some of the jewels of my childhood. We were surely blessed to live in a great little town with wonderful people. I am so glad you were able to go and have this experience. I don't know how I missed this post. Thanks for sharing Amy