3.01.2013

Do-it-yourselfers

Saturday morning while washing I noticed the machine was leaking large amounts of water out the front door. Oh dear.  I put a bucket underneath it and mopped up the floor and went on. 
When the load was done I took a look inside the machine. I figured the rubber seal wasn't sealing right. 

I guess I had a burst of self assurance and went online to look up how to take out that seal. 
It really involved taking off the top, the control panel, the soap dispenser, the door, the bottom panel, the cable spring, bulkhead and bellow clamp. 

hmmm? This could end poorly. 
With Asher as my trusty sidekick we went to work. He would run back and forth to the garage bringing back the right tools. He really knows his stuff there. 
We got it taken apart and took out the bellow. This is when I discovered a minor tear in the bellow that was causing the leak. I ordered one and we all went about dirtying clothes, sheets, towels, etc for the next 6 days until the part came. While in the belly of my machine I located the filter. We've had this machine serviced before and the man told me that items like pennies, bobby-pins, wrappers, get caught in the filter and ruin your motor. I thought I'd clean that filter out while we were in there. Lo and behold we found all the above mentioned items.  I felt like I'd given my machine a little gift of the extension of life. :)



When the UPS man pulled up on Thursday I squealed with joy (just ask Ginger I was on the phone with her). 
Asher and I went to work and got it all put together, installed the new bellow- so clean and fresh!, and ran a load of laundry. It worked. 

We fixed it. 

Just us. 

It was awesome. 


5 comments:

Jen said...

What a team! Good work!

Kati said...

This story is just a sliver of the amazing things you do on a daily basis. You're an inspirations to me. Seriously. But...I doubt I would ever have the guts to fix my washer. You're amazeballs.

Kati said...

*inspiration

JP Anderson said...

It's funny how motivated women are to get their washers fixed. When our old one broke down it was Felicia who first dismantled the thing and tried her hand at fixing it.

Em said...

That is awesome! I'm really impressed Aim.