4.17.2014

Motherhood: Phase II

I went to the library with Grace this week.

We were just going to run in and grab some books on hold for Cole. You know, Ricky Ricotta and the Jurassic Jackrabbit from Jupiter and Ricky Ricotta and the Mutant Mosquitoes from Mercury. Deep stuff.

While we were there we heard singing in the back.  Grace wandered back to find a shake, rattle and sing class going on. They were blowing bubbles.  The class only had a few minutes left, but she grabbed my hand and I followed her back.

She insisted I blow the bubbles.  I blew the bubbles to the much loved, "Let it Go", and started to take notice of the others attending.  Young mothers.  4 of them pregnant.  Some with an infant in it's car seat and their 3 year old sibling chasing bubbles.  All of them with more than one small child. By small I mean under 4. Grace was obviously the oldest there at 5 years. (Although, sometimes it's hard to tell, because she's really tall for her age). Nearly every Mom had a simple ponytail. They were cheering and clapping for their children who danced around the room with toddler abandon.

I had a flashback to snotty noses and diapers and potty training. To fevers, and cutting teeth and pacifiers.  To first steps and lugging awkward carseats around and chubby faces.  To brushing their teeth, fixing their hair and wiping their bottom and hoping I might find time to do the same for myself.  

I am not in that stage anymore.

The song ended and the perky leader of the group handed out streamers on pencils and turned on Chubby Checker's hit "The Twist".  As she extended a streamer to Grace, Grace anticipated her approach and held up her hand in a "stop" motion and said to the lady, "I'm not into that."

We took our books and left.

3 comments:

Britney said...

I'm not into that? Hahaha

shawn rowley said...

Loved this, so beautiful a snap shot of Gracie. As Roman ages, I wonder if I miss the old little version or be even more excited as his perceptions deepen and he has new joys at growing up.
It isn't easy to know the difference.

Jen said...

BAHHAHA! That's your girl alright! I love her spunk - she's quite the contrast to her older sister at that age - I'd say! Love her!