9.02.2011

Nose to the Grindstone 2011-2012

It back to school time.
What a glorious summer it's been.
We had so much fun and accomplished much on our 50 Thing to do this Summer list.
I took notes from other Mothers and decided to host our very own "Back to School Dinner".
I gave invitations to all those who would be going back to school (everyone but Grace & I).

I cooked up a chicken pot pie, a much beloved dinner at our house. It feels like home.
I served dinner on my beautiful plates Scotty got me for my birthday.

They haven't been used yet, so that moved the specialness up a notch.
We started with a salad first and then moved on to the main course.
When they were finished with the  main course I took their order for dessert and whipped up milkshakes and ice cream sundaes.  The manners were impeccable, and everyone ate all their dinner.
Surprising what a little formal event with your Mother acting as a very proper waitress will do to kids.
Afterward the kids received a father's blessing for the new school year. The best way to ensure they know they are loved and looked after.

The kids started school at different times. Chloe started Monday, Asher and Aidan Tuesday, and Cole the next Tuesday.

Let's start with the oldest first:

We're proud to present our 7th Grader:
Miss Chloe Browning
Attending: Vista Heights Middle School

She has a locker, 8 classes, and a contagious personality.  She's so excited for this new school year. I can't wait to see what great things she does.  She's already tried out for a part in a  Shakespeare play and filled out paperwork for Student Council.  I love that she's not afraid to put herself out there. To try. To not be afraid of failure. That is an invaluable trait.  Her electives are Drama, Art, and ASL (American Sign Language). This is her first time to ride a bus to school. Oh the joy.

They rule the school now, I present our 6th grader:
Asher Browning
Teacher: Mrs. Cook
Asher was lucky enough to get Chloe's teacher from last year, Mrs.Cook. She's an older woman who travels, runs races, and celebrates kids by letting them stand on their desks and be sung to. She's fantastic and he is excited. There's always a bit of pressure when you follow a sibling, but Asher is a funny, enthusiastic, smart boy who thrives on praise.  I'm pretty sure he's enjoying "ruling the school", but I also love that he walks to school with Aidan. He's pictured below with his great friend  Con-Man. 

Connor and Asher the big 6th graders.


Next in line, our handsome 3rd Grader:
Aidan Browning

Aidan's third grade teacher, Mrs.Durfee looks like a gem.  Aidan has a quirky sense of  humor and he loves to be with his friends. Every day after school he runs in and starts a timer to begin his 30 minutes of reading.  He wastes no time so he can quickly get to a friend's house and enjoy the daylight hours.  He's sure that 6 hours of school is an over-commitment, and I remind him how many years of this he has left and to make the best of it.  Aidan is a sweet, tender-hearted boy with a love for life. I think 3rd grade is going to be good to him.

Aidan and Miles finally in the same class!
And lastly, the boy who has waited long enough,
Mr. Cole Browning our Kindergartener. 


Possibly the most social of all our children. He's waited a long time to get to Kindergarten. He is confident, and happy, and comes home and presents his artwork.  He's only gone for 3 hours, which is good, because the house is quiet and nobody's kissing me!  Cole is tenacious, outgoing, talkative, and a pretty good reader. He'll eat up Kindergarten.

Cole with Grandma Bonnie headed to school.
After school she took him to Zupa's to celebrate.


Waiting in line.


So there we have it. It's definitely a different year for us with Chloe going to a different school and riding a bus.  It's exciting to see the kids grow and learn and develop fantastic qualities, but it's a bit painful too.  
Here's to a fantastic school year!

6 comments:

Shar said...

Oh, you are a cute Mom, Amy. And probably a darn good waitress, too!

Jen said...

Sooo cute. Looks like I'm not alone in missing my kiddos! Love you!

Ging said...

So much fun to live at your house. I thoroughly enjoyed the photos- particularly all of them.

Molly Thorne said...

Our kids have always taken the bus but we have let Dawson walk home twice with a friend this year and he loved it.
M: How was your walk home
D: It was so fun
M: really? Why? What happened?
D: When we were crossing the tracks our bus was waiting there and as they opened the doors there we where just waving at them. It was great.
M: anything else.
D: nope
Dawson and his friend were so cool for walking home.

Carrick family said...

You should win the motherofbthe year. You always make kids happy! Your kids are always cute! I'm excited that Chloe is learning ASL!!

Terri said...

What a great yearly profile. So wonderful when we have great school teachers they change our lives.