11.04.2011

Happy Halloween 2011

With Halloween being on a Monday this year it felt like all the fun was a little crowded. 
My day started early purchasing several cans of frosting for school parties and some last resort denture cream for Asher's fangs. I wanted to serve up cold cereal, but couldn't bring myself to do it on Halloween, so I subjected them all to cream of wheat. Then it was a whirlwind of getting everyone in full costume. Wig. Colored hairspray. Safety pins.  I underestimated the effort and ended up driving them all to school. Asher was desperately trying to get his fangs to stay in with the denture cream on the ride. I checked them each in late at the office. 




I ran to the bank then home hoping to get in a shower before I had to return for the Halloween Parade at the elementary school. But alas, adding color to 6 batches of frosting made the time fly and I bundled up the last 2 at 9:00, grabbed my video camera and made my way to the school in my sweaty workout clothes. Could this count as a costume? I'm a sweaty Mom who went running in the dark!  
I love the Halloween Parade. So many cute kids all decked out with smiles on and spooky music playing over the intercom.  Much fun. My little witch enjoyed watching the kids and laying on my lap. 

I started our traditional Halloween Stew cooking and tidied the house before picking up my Kindergarten Clown.  Man he's cute, but he's even cuter as a clown in big purple shoes.  

It is early out on Monday so all the kids were home with reports of parties, games, treats, and a full costume report. Who wore what. 

I had a few piano lessons then, like a spooky version of Groundhog Day, everyone started getting back into costume.  I quickly shot these photos and ordered everyone to fill their bellies with stew while I picked up Scott.  

When I returned Chloe went to a friend party, Asher left with friends to trick-or-treat, Aidan headed out with a friend and I promised to meet up with him, and I loaded my clown and witch in a wagon to speed the process along.  

The weather was brilliant.  Mild and beautiful.  
We circled the neighborhood and I lifted the witch in and out, in and out of the wagon. 
My back thanks me. 

I returned home with the 3 youngest and a barrel of candy. Our hand-out stash had run dry so I flipped off the lights. Shortly after this my Big Baby and her Vampire brother came home. 
Candy was counted, sorted, compared, and thrown on top of the fridge. 
Happy Halloween!

phew.











3 comments:

Jen said...

What a great Mom you are! My kids were lucky enough to have costumes - No Stew here! I guess my sister-in-law did make us home made Pizza!

Molly Thorne said...

I know you like that Halloween candy, ever heard of the Halloween witch?

JP Anderson said...

Holy shmoly frijole! What a crazy day! You're such a great mom! Wish we could have come.