It was in the tiny town of Bear River, Utah. Population under 1,000.
Aunt Dena was 91 years old and she and Theone had been married for 68 years.
It was a beautiful service and I am working on getting the audio recording copied for those who want it, but I wanted to share what I found to be the most inspiring and wonderful part of the day.
During the service Aunt Dena's children spoke about her kindness and unconditional love. They talked about delicious canned pickles and hardworking hands. They talked about a woman who was dedicated to her family and her God. I loved when they spoke of her younger years and what a beauty she was. When Theone saw her he was immediately taken. In fact, I remember Dad telling me that Theone knew she would be his wife when he first met her. She had lived a full long life and towards the end she endured one final test- her failing health. She was sick for some time and the family was waiting for her to be released from the pain. Her husband would not have her be in a rest home and so with the help of hospice he cared for his wife when she no longer could care for herself. He stayed up nights and met her needs. Theone himself is a frail elderly man. He said of this time taking care of his wife that he was grateful for this time to serve her because it brought them closer together. That was the most touching part of the service for me. This couple, who've been together for 68 years, still found space to grow closer together through service. With so much negativity going on in the news, so much selfishness, this was a breath of truth and light. There are wonderful people in this world who love and serve their spouse until their last breath. This is what I will remember about my Aunt Dena. She loved her husband and he loved her.
| Uncle Theone and Aunt Dena arm in arm Uncle Jack's Funeral March 22, 2008 |
3 comments:
They are sooo darling! So sorry to have missed it! Thanks for blogging it up for me sista!
Isn't it interesting what makes people truly beautiful?
Thanks for sharing.
That was really great. I'm happy I was able to be there.
Post a Comment