8.20.2012

Back to School with Miss Miranda

We had our Back to School Dinner last night.
I started this tradition last year, and I was really looking forward to it again this year.

Usually I prepare the meal/dessert, set the table, and do all the clean up myself.
This year I had a couple of helpers who just love to add ingredients and such.

 On the menu this year:
Teriyaki Beef with snow peas, red peppers, and mushrooms over jasmine rice.
Steamed broccoli.
Soda pop of your choice.
Dessert:
Pumpkin Cinnamon Roll Vanilla Cake with Cream Cheese Glaze
served with a side of Honey Maple Nut Ice Cream.


I always serve the meal as if they are at a fancy restaurant.  
Using sir and maam.  
Getting them whatever they'd like. 
Even picking up dropped utensils.

You'd like a chocolate milk also, no problem, I'll be right back with that.
A second helping of dessert, absolutely!
Are you finished sir? May I take your plate for you?


 The kids just eat it up. They took up calling me Miss Miranda. One of our favorite episodes of the Cosby Show is when Theodore comes home and his folks have turned the place into a mini-town where he pays rent, must buy his own furniture, get a loan from the bank. Man it's good stuff.  Mrs. Huxtable goes by Miranda in that episode, so they thought it was a perfect fit.   The restaurant has officially been dubbed Miss Miranda's Fancy Back to School Restaurant. Too wordy?

They had a few good laughs at my over-politeness and delicious menu.
"The lady who usually cooks here isn't this fancy or polite."
"The lady who usually cooks here sings really loud and has bad dance moves."


When they were just about all finished with their meal Cole came in the kitchen and whispered,
"You're still my Mom, right?"
"Yes," I whispered back.
"Good. I love my Mom."

After dinner Scott gave each of the children a father's blessing to start the school year.
The words of encouragement he spoke were comforting. Each of our children has different and unique personalities, strengths and challenges.  Each blessing was perfectly tailored to those needs.  I'm so grateful for the power of the priesthood in my home.

3 comments:

Denise said...

Love, love, love. I aspire to be like you someday.

My kids love Cosby Show too and I could watch it all day with them. They know when I've said no more tv they can always still get a Cosby Show out of me.

Jen said...

adorable! I love that Cole . Great work Sis!

crush said...

Aim, I love this! What a great tradition. I'm going to start it this year! You are an inspiration to me! Love you and miss you like the dickens! (Whatever that means!) XOXO