I had decided that for my date with Asher we would train for and run a 5k together. He woke up early on summer mornings (with Chloe and I) and we would meet some friends and go for a run. He proved to have pretty good stamina and speed. Over the summer his scout troop was working on the physical fitness merit badge as well. This gave him the opportunity to do the mile run and time himself then work to beat that time. I have to admit, I find joy having a child who enjoys running like I do.
So I signed us up to run the Eagle Mountain Glow-in-the-dark 5K on July 13th. When we arrived to pick up our packets it was raining, but we were both so excited we didn't care. I showed him how to pin on his bib and put his timer on his shoe. We put the glowstick bracelets on. It was so fun to help him through this for his first time. While we waited to start we ran into some friends of mine from the neighborhood. Gretchen was also running the 5K and we asked her to join us.
While we waited and waited (not well planned I'm afraid) we discussed holding back after the starting time since we were individually timed, or heading to the front of the line. I always hold back so I don't feel stuck in a tight group and lose stride. However, we decided to be risky, after all it was a glow in the dark run, and we headed right to the front of the pack.
Asher's excitement was visible in his huge grin!
I was nervous looking behind me to see a couple of brothers who were in the 6' range breathing down our necks. Here I was with my 12 year old with a mob of people behind us! When that timer rang we shot off like a rocket. The cool night air felt good and we were moving right along. About half way I had to stop to catch my breath for a second. Asher looked at me for the okay and I sent him on his way in the dark watching his glowsticks bounce away. I kept him in my sights from there until nearly the end, but man it was tough. I don't think I've ever run that fast. As I was nearly to the finish line there he was "Go Mom! You're almost done!" He'd already finished the race!!! There were just a couple of people done, one being Asher and another my friend Gretchen.
We were so stoked. We may have actually won something!
We waited for the award ceremony and lo and behold Asher won 1st in his age group! He was the 4th person to cross that finish line. Those 2 6'+ brothers were there and another woman. Amazing! What an awesome first race he had! We cheered and cheered for him. He was so happy. Gretchen ended up getting 2nd in the women's overall and I was 3rd in the women's overall! We took plenty of shots with our awards and headed home. This was definitely one of the most awesome memories I've made with Asher.
For Asher's date with Scott, Scott decided to take him to school with him. Asher had asked several times during the regular school year if he could skip a day of school and go to college with Dad.
Well, since Scotty is in summer school and Asher is not we figured this would be a great time to take him up to the University of Utah. Asher and Scott rode the bus up to Salt Lake and then caught Trax in downtown to take them up to the school.
Asher has asked Scott repeatedly last year if he could go to school with Scotty. The school year was always hectic and of course Asher would be missing a day of elementary school to try out a day of college. Summer seemed the perfect time to Scott. Scott was enrolled in summer school for the first time and felt it would be perfect to take Asher up to see campus, library, classes, and also the city.
I didn't send my camera, so Scotty used his awesome camera phone.
They left at 6 am and caught the bus up to Salt Lake. In downtown Salt Lake they transferred to Trax and rode up the University of Utah campus. Scotty took Asher on a tour of the campus. At lunch time they went to Bentley's office and they all headed to DP Cheesesteaks for lunch. A man's lunch if I've ever known one.
The boys caught the movie at the Joseph Smith building and walked around temple square. They stopped at the fancy new Harmon's in downtown and had some gelato also. After the long day they rode the bus home. While Scott was unloading the bus in his powerchair he looked back to see Asher sound asleep in his seat on the bus! Just as Scott was sending someone to wake him he startled and woke up. Guess it was a long day for the boy.
I think it was such a great idea for Asher to see all that Scott does and where he spends his time every day. Awesome date idea.




2 comments:
What a great, and fast, kid! These will surely be life-long memories.
Oh Amy- it so fun to read about your dates. I am glad you are posting things "gone by" it inspires me to do the same. Blogging, like journaling, can be so daunting to catch-up on.
Post a Comment