11.13.2012

Just You + Me: Aidan

July 25, 2012
Aidan is such an adventurous kid that it is easy to find something to do with this boy. 
I looked into something backstage at the zoo, and found an opportunity for animal encounters with some more one on one learning and hands on experience with animals. 
In Aidan's mind he was hoping to get in some cages and frolic with some animals. 
I had to talk to him about safety issues and such, and he seemed alright with whatever new experience he might get to have. 

Our morning started with an open discussion with some of the animal trainers and care takers. They talked about their education that allows them to work with these animals.  I could see Aidan's eyes light up as these ladies talked about all they've learned and what cool experiences they get to have with these animals. They know each animal's name and personality.  After this we had some lunch and headed out  to have some more in depth experiences. 
 This bird is very attached to its trainer. He was so smart and beautiful. Aidan was wishing that was his finger that bird was perched on.
 We then went in with the monkeys and learned about enrichment for animals. Because they are not in the wild they need lots of experiences to work their minds and bodies. We watched them put out cages with food and toys in them that the monkeys had to figure out how to retrieve. We learned each monkeys name and age.

 This little guy was my personal favorite. He was rescued from the wild because of his injury. Isn't he adorable. Aidan and I sat and started at him for a long while. This one would surely have made a perfect pet in Aidan's room.
 When the class was over we went by ourselves and I let Aidan pick what we should go visit. We went to the new exhibit to see the seals, bears, and such.

 Of course we shared an ice cream before heading home.
I loved this day with Aidan. I love watching his excitement when he soaks up new knowledge and gets to be immersed in the things he loves. He is such a wonderful boy. I'm a lucky mother.
 Once again I forgot to send my camera with Scotty, but he had his phone so this is the only photo of Scott and Aidan's date. They headed to Pier 49 pizza for delicious pie and all you can drink Apple Beer. Then right next door they went to see the new Ice Age movie.

This is a popular date, but it gives Scotty the opportunity to do dinner and a movie without driving because they are in such close proximity.  They had a great time together. I love hearing about how much they laughed.  I love the stories of drinking more apple beer than Mom would allow and just having a good time together. 


2 comments:

Denise said...

Ok you have gotten to me. I think we definitely need to adopt this little tradition in our family. I think we'll start after the new year when there's a new baby in the house the kids are need of some one on one time with their dad. I can enter the rotation a few months later but I just love how excited your kids look. Who know's how long we'll have before our kids want nothing to do with us.

Thanks for the inspiration.

JP Anderson said...

That sounds so fun! Aidan and I share a love for animals.