It was back to school day.
I'm not sure I was ready for this.
They had their clothes, backpacks, shoes, supplies,
but I just wasn't ready for them to be gone for a majority of the day.
It's kind of strange when I think about them gone
having interactions with other kids and adults.
Having conversations, making choices, learning new things and I'm there for none of it.
However, I fancy myself a pretty good "reader of emotion", and so
I generally know how the day has gone when I talk to them at home.
We did the traditional 1st day of school pictures and walked together.
Chloe- Grade 6
Asher- Grade 5
Aidan- Grade 2
When we got to the school they usually line up with their class, but today there were no lines.
Asher just went right in. No hug, no kiss, no "see you later Mom". Just gone.
Then I couldn't find Aidan and assumed he'd gone in too. Chloe told me goodbye and the tears just came. I was too easily dismissed for the next 6 + hours. Aidan was just putting his bike away and I made sure to get my goodbye hug/kiss from him.
As we started to walk home Cole said, "Mom why are you crying?"
Me: "I'm sad the kids will be gone all day."
Cole: "But Mom, you still have me."
That boy knows how to cheer my heart.
Happy First Day of School children.
3 comments:
oh amy, that made me sad for you...sam and finn lay on the floor in the living room now and watch the front door until the kids get home....mabye home school is a good idea after all.
And that my sister is exactly why this has been such a hard week for me. I've been so sad all week - just dreading my children going back to school - and my Zandy man going to school. Homeschooling it's glorious! Isn't it???
what adventureous you can nw have with cream of wheat girl and that mama lovin boy. Go to story time at the library, legacy center, picnic at the park, maybe even 2 dollar tuesday is good again.
Post a Comment