Gathered around the table for family night we read our scriptures, and discussed the terrible effects of sin.
The bondage it can create. The habits that can be so difficult to change.
The children brought up biting their fingernails and waiting too long to go to the bathroom.
We smiled.
Children's habits.
We role played difficult situations that may challenge our values.
I was the guy who forced you to make a decision then and there.
I was nice, funny, and pushy. Then I got kind of rude.
They held their ground.
We discussed pornography on the computer, in magazines, on t.v.
They were a bit baffled. Why?
We explained the addicting effects. Biting your fingernails x 1,000.
I sometimes wonder if discussing topics like these in a safe situation like Family Night might help children talk about any situation they've been in that they haven't told us about. I told them how you can be tricked and then trapped by pop-ups on a computer that could show you pornography.
Then their hands started to go up.
And very seriously said,
"Mom, this one time, I was on the computer and then this thing popped-up that said I could win 1 million dollars if I would click on it. I didn't do it though."
Whew. Good.
"Mom one time a ball was bouncing on the screen and it said if I clicked the bouncy ball I could win a really big i-Pod. I really wanted an i-Pod, but I didn't click it. "
Good call.
Scott and I smiled again.
This is the night we've waited for.
On to the carmel apples.
3 comments:
that. was. intense. glad you had the caramel apples to dull the suspense. haha
we had the very same family night last night... following a Sunday night fireside by our bishopric that dealt with pornography, etc. those worries get a little more serious as the kids get older. ech.
that is so weird - we had the exact same family night - no joke! By the way I got a neat thing at time out for women that you might be interested in. You can print it off on Deseret Books Website - it's a Safe Media Pledge for your family.
Post a Comment