| Has nothing to do with this post. Just think it's funny. |
It was dentist day on Wednesday. I schedule all the children's dental appointments over Christmas break and summer break. I also schedule them on the same day at the same time. I'm a firm believer in "if you're going to do something difficult just get it over with all at once even if it may push your sanity to the breaking point" theory. So I actually talked Scott into coming and helping me wrangle Grace.
Like always, when I announce it's time to get in the car and head to the dentist, many run upstairs and brush and floss. Our dentist is a nice patient man. Those are good qualities to possess if you'll be a pediatric dentist right? They all had pics done, had their teeth cleaned (even Grace this time!) and then I sat in while he looked at each child's teeth and x-rays one by one and he gave me the breakdown.
So here's the summer dental session 2011:
Chloe- Hygienist compliments her good job of keeping her teeth clean, especially with braces on. Chloe beams with pride (and a bit of that "I told you I was doing a good job"). Her back molars are coming in and the dentist notices she has a pit in both of her back teeth. It's just something that happens as those teeth form, but it needs filled so a cavity doesn't form in the void. We'll do that at the winter session. Chloe's free and clear and maintains her filling-free mouth!
Asher- Whispers to me that he'd like the dentist to pull all his baby teeth so he can get braces soon. Unfortunately that'd be A LOT of teeth. He only has 4 adult teeth! He's 11! No big deal the dentist says. I applaud that. Gives us more time to grow that money tree for his braces. He's cavity free as usual, because he grinds his teeth at night so horrendously that most of his baby teeth are missing. In fact one is ground down to the point you can see all the layers of the tooth. I suggested it for a science fair project next year.
Aidan- He's had the most work done and thus he is the most nervous. He literally clenched his jaw shut last time he had to have a cavity fixed. However, this time he passed with flying colors! The dentist noted an overbite. I noted that my boy sucks his thumb at bedtime. He noted that there are appliances for that and I let him know I wasn't interested. That was that. Go AIDAN!
Cole- Cole has had a few cavities unfortunately from lack of flossing. That would be my fault. However, when he had those fixed a while ago, he fell asleep while they were working on him. I asked if they gave him something I didn't know about? Nope. I guess he was just tired. The dentist doesn't bother him in the least. Shots or no. He's cool with it. Today- he received a warning on one tooth. I promised to floss it like crazy and we were good to go.
Grace- For the first time she let them clean her teeth. She loves to brush her teeth at home (ie. eat toothpaste) so she was excited to let them take a stab at it after seeing all her siblings get theirs cleaned. Then she proudly announced- "They brushed my teeth Mom- look!" A definite "thumb-suckers" palate here. I did that to her. I took away the binky and she went straight to the thumb and never looked back. oops. Ah well. No cavities for this one. All that brushing pays off ;)
5 comments:
I HATE it when my tutu gets stuck in my panties! It happens all the time.
Way to go at the dentist, kids!
And don't feel a bit bad about the thumb-sucking. Kids needs to soothe themselves however they can. No harm!
I always feel like going to the dentist is like getting a report card. The grades make me more nervous than any of the work that might be preformed does.
Lucky kids! They must have inherited good teeth....my kids on the other hand, have horrible teeth!!! And I LOVE that picture of Grace!!
That Poppyseed comment is from me-- Cami. Sorry!
Post a Comment