4.26.2012

Whine Not.

We've got a whining/crying problem.
It's no bueno.
It happens daily, usually around chore/homework/reading/piano time.

He's such a sweet boy with big hazel eyes.  However, his emotions get the best of him day after day.  It's a good thing he's more of the silent-pity-me crier and not a howler monkey like some of his brothers.  It seems nearly daily I'm reminding him to use words to express himself. "It's okay to tell me your frustrated or unsure how to do this chore correctly. It's not okay to whine or cry relentlessly while lying on the floor." I remind him that he must learn to work hard, because he'll work all his life and his attitude will make it or break it.  I ask him to pray for help and to think what he could do to help tomorrow be better.

He's generally such an easy going, quiet, happy kid.
He's at his best when he has the day to just explore and imagine.  Definitely one of his strengths.





Is it just me or does Grace look like she's a child of the Village People?

6 comments:

Jen said...

She doesn't look like herself at all in this picture!

crush said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
crush said...

Oh, Aim. I can so empathize with you on this one. Especially when it comes to the piano. But, I have a new phrase that I use that has been like magic-- at least for me. The kids don't like it, because it shuts down their constant whining and arguing about the piano. I have stopped talking over and over and over about the benefits to playing the piano and practicing and doing hard things and trying to convince little people to see as we see as adults. The famous line one particular child would use over and over is, "I don't like the piano", or "I hate the piano! Why do I have to do this?" (Sound familiar?) Instead of trying the convincing thing all I say now is; "It's ok. You don't have to like it. That's ok if you hate it right now." I agree with them all over the place about piano being hard and then just say, "You don't have to like it., but you have to do it." It works at our house. How about a reward system for a good attitude while practicing? Good luck and LOVE YOU!

Unknown said...

She does look like the village people. To be honest that was my first thought upon seeing the picture. Bailey's teacher says something in her class room that I love and have been trying, "I need you to be a problem solver." If I'm busy or something is difficult or they are whining I try to use it. Sometimes it makes them think I think they're big enough to fix it themselves or it at least lets them know I can't fix everything.
We don't understand whinezz!

JP Anderson said...

Yes, I too hated....HATED piano practice. I use to talk real loud while asking a question to someone to cover the sound of me changing the time on the microwave. And yes again, Village People was my first thought when I saw the picture.

Ging said...

No- it's not just you... Village People. I didn't even recognize her.
Same problem- different child . Recently we tried the "add a chore" method when whining occurred, which as you can imagine, went super well. She had 9 chores and whined even more. I know the "starve the negative" rule but sometimes.....