5.17.2009

Molly and the Marathon


We got to go watch Molly run her first marathon in Ogden on Saturday.
What an event!
I was teary-eyed from the beginning as we waited on the bridge to see her cross @ mile 23.
Watching an event like this is always so inspiring.  I love watching people push their physical bodies to perform in ways you may not expect to be able to.

My mind always tends to think of my husband and the disability he now deals with.
He use to be a runner, a biker, a hiker, a rock climber, a skier, a waterskier, a rollerblader, a golfer.  His body use to perform- and at all of these things it performed very well.  
Now it takes effort, thought, strength and courage to make that body stand at the walker and balance, maybe daring to let go for a few seconds.  But just like these marathoners he is pushing his "new" body to  it's limits.  Retraining.

I think what really makes me weepy at these events is knowing that these people are conquering the physical with so much spirit.  I love it.  

You were inspiring Molly.  What a way to stick it to the 30's! 






8 comments:

A THORN AMONG ROSES said...

Nice tribute...

Way to go Molly! A strong and accomplished woman for sure!

Jen said...

Thanks for the pictures Aim! Molly you don't even look like you ran a mile let alone 26! Wowzer! You look like Amy in the last picture! Funny!

Ging said...

DITTO to everything you just said.

JP Anderson said...

I can't believe you did it. No offense. I knew you had been training but to what extent I had no idea. It all happened so fast. It was like you just all of a sudden decided to run an marathon and so you did. That is nothing short of amazing to me. It was like a short story to your life. You quietly do your thing day in and day out without tooting your whistle and one day all eyes were on you and you said, "I can do hard things, see. I've been doing them all along."

Jen said...

"I can do hard things, see - I've been doing them all along" I love that quote! I just love that John! I think I want to stitch that on a pillow! Thanks for that! Molly you are a strong woman - I sure agree!

Anonymous said...

Makes ME wanna run one! You are truly inspirational! Love ya!

Molly Thorne said...

You are all very kind and supportive. It was fabulous and I can't wait till the next one. I almost cried today when I put my running shoes back on for the first time since Saturday, I still can't believe I did it myself but then I remember the last 3 miles and I do say most of my labors where easier than those last 3. Thanks for sharing the day with me.

Calvin said...

awesome... and holy crap I love that picture on top!