5.10.2009

Mother's Day 2009 & 200th Post

Happy Mother's Day!

10 Specific Suggestions for Mothers from 
President Ezra Taft Benson: 

1. Take time to always be at the crossroads in the lives of your children, whether they be six or sixteen.

2. Take time to be a real friend to your children.

3. Take time to read to your children. Remember what the poet wrote:

You may have tangible wealth untold; 
Caskets of jewels and coffers of gold. 
Richer than I you can never be— 
I had a mother who read to me. 

4. Take time to pray with your children.

5. Take time to have a meaningful weekly home evening. Make this one of your great family traditions.

6. Take time to be together at mealtimes as often as possible.

7. Take time daily to read the scriptures together as a family.

8. Take time to do things together as a family.

9. Take time to teach your children.

10. Take time to truly love your children. A mother’s unqualified love approaches Christlike love.

I appreciated these suggestions.  It's good to re-center myself and remember what is truly important in my life. I want nothing more than to raise happy children who know who they are, know they have a family who loves them and will always be there for them, and love their Savior.

So, on the topic of Mothers here's a picture of my fine bathrobe.  

You may notice something odd.  




















The tie to this bathrobe serves multiple purposes.  Of course it holds my bathrobe together but it also:

Is a great dog leash
Ties up bad guys
Tethers stuffed pets to the bed post
Lowers baskets of "food" over the railing to waiting hungry prisoners.
A really weak bike "chain"
Is used  ninja style to hold swords just right

And now you know why it is grimy, and I know that a bathrobe tie is priceless to little boys.

I hope you all had a great Mother's Day!  I received (among other great things) a box of Gas-X.

Oh that husband of mine, he just loves to make me laugh!  The children presented it to me and told me it was for my "allergies".  (That's an inside joke at our house).  

Also Happy 200th Post to me!

7 comments:

Ging said...

WOW!!! The photo is great. Take me to the orchard!! I love the insights by President Benson and truly appreciate you sharing them. And your bathrobe tie comments really are priceless. You are such a good mother Amy,thank you for your example.

Terri said...

I loved every bit of that 200th post. Your a fashionista for certain. Thems some preppy kids. The advice was needed but the bathrobe story should be submitted somewhere it is priceless. I wanted to get yuu another bathrobe tie but I dont think it would be near as loved. You are a good good mom Amy.

JP Anderson said...

That IS such a great picture! You guys could be the poster family for GAP or Banana Republic. I enjoyed your comments. A good mother would keep her bathrobe tie neat and clean. A great mother would see it's full potential in something much more important than just to hold a robe together. I just leaned that from you. Thanks.

Unknown said...

you know if you get one end of that robe tie wet, it could be very effective as a "disciplinary device..." I'm just sayin...

Lesa said...

I love the bright yellow accent. That picture is priceless! I L~O~V~E it!!!

Troop 442 said...

LOVE THE PHOTO

Love the quote from Pres. Benson

You are beautiful!

Calvin said...

great pic on top of the blog... I need your guys numbers again, got a new phone, no numbers were saved...