7.10.2008

Prejudice

Why do prunes have such a stigma?

A prune

When I asked where they were in the supermarket, I got the face, ("what? prunes?  are you gonna eat those Grandma?)  Then I found the prunes hidden on the baking aisle.  I felt a little like you do when you're standing in front of the condoms.  Like everyone is watching you.  Like you're doing something inappropriate.  Like you'd better hide them in the bottom of your cart.  And you know that old lady next to you staring down the flour is just waiting for you to leave so she can have her turn in front of the prunes...privately.  

After all, a prune is simply a dried plum people.  Raisins don't get a bad rap.  They're not hidden on the bottom shelf.  People don't ask what you need them for and raise their eyebrows. They're actually a beloved children's snack!  So accepted in the world of dried fruits.  

So let's stop the madness.  Embrace prunes.  We humans need more fiber anyhow.  Go out and get some prunes  and have a great day.  I know I will.   

7 comments:

Ging said...

WHY? Look at the photo dude- that says it all.

shawn rowley said...

amy you have risen to level of a culinary activist,
be proud.
if doctor suess would have had your passion for the musical fruit the lorax would have abandoned the trees and have been the spokesman for the PRUNES....

perhaps you could convince ted nugent to join your cause..ROCK ON PRUNE GIRL!!!

i have been deeply MOVED by your empassioned essay.

JP Anderson said...

I once had a similar experience while taking a film studies course at college. We had a list of movies we had to watch on our own time and then write an essay on them. One of the movies was Forbidden Planet. It's an old movie about a planet found by earthlings that was already inhabited by some humans and robots who were too smart for their own good. Apparently it's not very popular. I had to ask at the front desk with a line of other movie renters behind me for the movie at three different places. I got raised eyebrows by many a people that day. It's about robots guys, robots. We now actually have a movie poster of it next to our King Kong.
Anyway, I like prunes. I got made fun of at the MTC for eating them and Fiber One cereal. Hey, it's cool to be regular. Not cool to grunt.

shawn rowley said...

forbiden planet is one of my alltime favorite films. did you know it was based on shakespear's
"the tempist"

Em said...

forbidden planet? thats not anything like Dune is it? cuz that was an awful movie.

oh yes, prunes. yeah yeah amy. i'm sorry you and your 55 yr. old hub can't get in the the hip crowd with your medicare and prunes, but I still love you. you and your chicken skin and liver spots. :D

Em said...

oh. by the way, I liked Shawn's "moved" joke. and...i got all my itunes songs on my new comp. so that means that YOU can too....next time we visit!

Jen said...

I'm laughin my pants off! I love prunes personally and I especially love dark chocolate covered prunes , those are now found on the baking isle too Aim! Maybe you wouldn't get quite as many raised eyebrows with that in your cart!