The bearings in Scott's powerchair are going out. Not a good thing. The fear of being stranded somewhere on campus in this weather sent Scott to his repair shop hoping for a speedy fix. It will be around 6 weeks. not speedy.
But, the "good" news is that they will rent him a chair while his is getting fixed.
We drove in to pick it up this week.
It was taking awhile for the man to find us a chair when the sweet receptionist told me they only had 2 options really.
1. Nice chair, similar to Scott's. Downside: Urine soaked pad. That's right. Someone had un accidento in this chair and they cannot remove the smell. I suggested a power washer.
"Tried that" the receptionist quickly replied. Remove the pad? "Sorry, permanently attached". Okay, so what's option 2.
2. A Jazzy.
We went with the jazzy. Unfortunately it is built for a much shorter wider person than my husband. He got in it and the headrest hit him in the shoulder blades. His knees were closer to his chest. Bonus number two was that it only has one speed. I'd say it's a medium fast. Scott's chair can fly, but it can also go very slow. Yesterday Scott said he "bounced off four walls" when he took the speedy Jazzy in a restroom at school. You should see me try to load it onto the lift. I've run over myself twice. But, it's much slower to get all they way across campus. It also doesn't handle well in snow. The slightest bump and it just high centers. He's had to make detour after detour to avoid getting stuck.
To add injury to insult- Scott slipped on our wet garage floor yesterday while getting in the car and slammed his face into the side of the car. OUCH!
"It doesn't hurt so much here, or here, but here!" he said in his best Chris Farley impersonation.
He has a bump behind his ear, and his face is bruised.
He may have also bruised his neck meat.
Note to self: Find a squeegee on a long stick.
Reminds me when he first used a powerchair and he did 360's in the driveway while singing "Round round get around I get around. Ohohohohoh".
Gotta love that guy.
Sorry no pictures. The man does have some pride.
6 comments:
Funniest post in a while! Why don't you get a jazzy too Amy? That would be great to see you two side by side in your dangerous speed only jazzies.
You people are gonna have one heck of a mansion in heaven when this is all done...
Wait a minute while I pick my jaw up off the floor...
Your killing me here. This is the funniest not funny blog. Sounds like the jazzy is closer to a waltz
Oh Amy. I just love you guys. And I wanted to say that those are such fun cute pictures of your parents. I just love them. Tell ma and pa Anderson that I said hello.
still laughing......still
Post a Comment