Scott was released after about 6 weeks in the hospital, on April 12, 2005. One of the best days of my life. April 15th is right up there among the best days in my life as well. Ginger's inspired idea came to life on that day. Family, friends, neighbors, community, strangers- all came together to lift our family through rough times. Everyone made "the longest journey". Whenever I wear that t-shirt I remember that day and the faces that were there. I was overwhelmed by the scope of it all. So many people, so much stuff, so much time- all for us. Amazing.
One of the gifts we received that day was this mini-van. We were driving our Hyundai at the time with the 3 kids stuffed in the back seat and Scott's wheelchair jammed in the trunk. We were "makin' do". A sweet friend from our newlywed days, whom I hadn't spoken with in some time, made several phone calls until she got the answer she was looking for, and secured this van for us. It had 60,000 miles on it. We are selling it this week and it has over 140,000 miles on it. It took us to doctor's appointments, countless therapy sessions, Grandparents houses, California, and the grocery store. Its brought home new babies twice, taken kids to soccer games, been fishing and camping, and parked in the sprinkler. (It's only been pulled over twice- in 5 years! And only 1 ticket.) It's been kept running by a selfless neighbor, who serves others endlessly. This van was more than a gift in a tough time, for me it represents the enormous power for good we each have inside of us. I am sad to see it go, but I will never forget it, or that day.

8 comments:
P.S. So the Greyhound didn't take the bus. Looking forward to seeing her "mother."
That was a good day. Glad I could be there to see your faces when they gave it to you. Has it really been 4+ years? Wow.
On a side note. I miss you. We need to get together somehow...
So what are you getting?
I rember that day and how my friend sally came dowwn to support you with 500 dollars.I sure know who my friends are. M see the Lords hand in your life.my testimony has increased every time I come to your home I know the lord is awary of your family because he has been there every step off the way.
that was a great day and I'm so sad I didn't get to come. Love you and how it all turned out!
That was a great day that I am sad to have missed. But I too can vouch for the worth of that van, it was well-used. I do hope you can make at least gas-money from it now. ;) My offer is still on the table.
tear
Post a Comment