6.13.2011

Scout Camp 2011

Because I am a Bear Den Leader and also have a very fine Wolf Scout myself I attended Scout Camp last Saturday.  This was Aidan's first time to a day camp and he was beyond excited.   We headed up to Jeremiah Johnson scout camp in Hobble Creek Canyon.

 It was mighty cold in the shadow of that mountain.  Our scouts huddled for warmth. We've obviously taught them well.

 Here is Aidan and his buddy for the day (and many other days as well), Miles.

So, what you may ask, makes Scout Camp a boys dream come true. 
Let me tell you.  They have this place set up to pack in as much excitement as
an 8-9 year old boy can handle.  

It starts with an assigned camp guide who appeared to be about 12. 
Connor.
He was full of energy and charisma. 
Everything was awesome, the best, great, fantastic!
He would chant: WE ARE
The boys would respond: AWESOME-ITES!
over. and over. and over. and over. 
Chanting real loud never gets old when you're an 8 year old boy. 

The day began with a Raingutter Regatta. 
The boys built boats, decorated boats, raced boats in 30 minutes. 


The learned the history of the flag and how to properly fold one. 
 Real genuine sling-shots were next.  An extra bead was promised to boys who got rocks into specific cans or tubes.  Aidan hit the yellow tube on his first shot, but the rock didn't make it in. 
 They learned about different tools then made their own swords.
Here they are with the leader Connor ready to go to battle against another scout group.
It was vicious. There were some injuries. 
 Excitement hit a new high when we approached the BB Gun range.
Aidan models the protective eyewear here. 
 Next: Archery
A bit of a tricky sport.
Aidan caught on to this quickly and hit the sack several times. 

What a day! So glad I went and enjoyed it with Aidan and all those other sweet boys. 

3 comments:

JP Anderson said...

Scout camp were the best!

Jen said...

what a darling boy! I might be able to get excited about this scouting thing - I just might!

Terri said...

I was the wolf leader when Scout Casmp roled around for Taylor and I remember the cold morning and the bebe guns it was an awesome day with a boyh! I love that about Church callings they often let you spend time serving in places where you can be with your children