| Kids August 2010 |
The school year has officially ended.
It always goes out with a bang.
So many programs and parties a Mother is on call constantly.
Video camera and digital camera on the ready.
Scott headed to Boise for his yearly sabbatical, so he's not pictured.
I was so proud, but not surprised when Chloe's teacher, Mrs.Cook, called to privately tell me she had picked Chloe to receive the Hope of America award of in her class. One boy and girl were chosen from each 6th grade class. The Hope of America award is one that recognizes and encourages graduating elementary and middle school students who possess outstanding leadership ability, ethical and moral character, achievement in academic studies, and show promise of future success and service to the community. That sounds about right in my book.
Chloe's teacher wrote in her yearbook. I am not the only one who sees you as an outstanding representative of the Hope of America. Your classmates value your powerful characteristics of integrity, kindness, personal responsibility, friendship, and leadership. You are known for creatively going the extra mile, whether making 200 chocolate bites, scenery and props for a Greek play, or turning a simple bookmark into a work of art. Everyone and everything you touch is better because of you. Keep your ideals high and success will follow you. --Mrs. Cook.
Behold the power of a teacher.
The 6th Graders have been preparing for an end of the year dance. They've learned several different dance styles and were given instructions to dress in their best and wear deodorant:) Then they had a dance card and were assigned to dance with other students. Parents were NOT ALLOWED. I think this was to help the students feel comfortable. So no pics unfortunately, but here is her dance card.
Her class also performed Shakespeare's a Midsummer Night's Dream. She was one of the beautiful fairies and worked tirelessly on her skirt. I am not sure why I have no photos of this. I know if I have video.
There is an end of school "clap out" for all the 6th grade students leaving the school as well as any faculty leaving. I went with my camera and cried and clapped and snapped pictures as I watched some much loved teachers walk the hall and some of the best 6th graders I know. My children are so blessed to have such great friends.
Asher had a busy year. 5th grade is a killer. There's Clear Creek Camp, Science Fair, Hope of America performance, Wax Museum, & Ellis Island. He has loved his teacher and had a year full of fun stuff. Having Mr.D for a teacher has made it a great year. They often talk about sports and Asher definitely looks up to him.
Here he is as Mr. Orville Wright. He did a report on him and dressed like him for a Wax Museum. We walked through and the students were all frozen in place. I was able to go to Clear Creek with him, watch him perform in Hope of America at the Marriott Center, and be his book club Mom, so I've enjoyed spending some one on one time with Asher as he grows into a young man. I find him funny, engaging, and involved.
Second grade has been a bit of a challenge for Aidan. He is a creative boy who thinks outside the box, and I think he sometimes feels stuffed back in the box. This makes him anxious and unhappy. All in all it was a fine year, but I'm hoping next year will be even better. He excelled at art and spelling. He is a very creative story teller. Mrs. Schmidt helped him improve his hand writing and vocabulary. This boy has a big tender heart and a love of learning.
Here's Aidan in his God of Nature mask. It is covered with animals (note the black widows on each cheek). I joined Aidan for a donut date this year and we read animal facts from a large book together and shared a donut. This boy is looking forward to a summer full of friends, nature, and sleep.
Here's Aidan giving hugs to his siblings on the last day of school.
He's been the leader of my 3-ringed circus while the big kids are at school. "How long until Tylo's out of school," is on his personal speed dial. He learned to do chores, practice piano, and loved to have an afternoon cuddle up while the babies were napping.
With the school year over Grace is looking forward to running with the big kids, and giving me a run for my money. We've begun the potty training, and it's been mostly good. However last Sunday while she did perfectly during church (she even stayed the entire time in Nursery without a tear) she came home and wreaked havoc. She wet on a chair, then hopped in my flour bucket while the children and I were busy making dinner. Later she emptied dirt from my flower planter onto the front porch and I still can't talk about the glitter incident. I was sure Cole was to be my loudest child, but alas she has proved me wrong. Oh I love her, but she requires much correction and patience. She has grown so much this past school year and talks up a storm.
Happy End of the School Year.
Kids May 2011
2 comments:
You do have some great kids, you lucky mom. And one day you will laugh about the "glitter incident". . . one day.
What a great reflection of your chi8ldren and their year of hard work.
Post a Comment