Our car is broken down. sniff. sniff.
We use her a lot.
She was a gift, and she has been a blessing.
The morning routine of getting Scott and his powerchair to the bus stop has become grandiose.
It involves a borrowed minivan, a borrowed trailer, hitching it up, unhitching it, returning said minivan and jogging home. Repeat at 5:30 pm.
Today after the morning routine I dropped the kids off at school in our friend's minivan and then returned it to their garage, hit the button to shut the garage door, jumped over the sensors and began my jog home.
I noticed a neighbor ahead with his driver door open pushing his truck down the street.
"Looks like we've got similar problems", I yelled.
He replied with something like, "Poor, broken down car, no job?"
Then he told me he could usually jump start his truck after he turned the corner and headed downhill, and would I like a ride.
So I hopped on the bumper and held onto his truck rack. There was an occasional jolt as he tried to get it to start while we floated down the hill towards my house. It was cold and that winter breeze blew in my face. I found myself silently praying that his truck would start for him. It finally roared to life, and he stopped at my driveway and I hopped off the back. I helped him scrape the ice off his windshield.
And then, he turned to me and said, "What can we do for you?"
I'm tearing up just thinking about it now.
It was for me a sure sign of the times.
7 comments:
What is the diagnosis on your car? Do you know how much it would take to fix it or what is needed? I'm prepared to put my "bishop" hat on and help you figure this thing out - you can't NOT have a car - especially with winter on the way.
good neighbors Aim! Real Good! Love you!
Oh this story made me feel those warm fuzzies that President Monson talks about. Good Thanksgiving story!
So many people need help and so many people are willing and/or able to give it. Sounds like the perfect recipe. I hope we can help with this one. I also hope you will take along some kind of harness for tomorrow so you are securely attached to his bumper.
We do live in a great neighborhood.
Rich's little white car broke down too, maybe there is a car flu going around??
We have a trailer that just sits at the side of our house, if you ever need it.
Hope your van get fixed soon, I'm nervous for Travis to call us up and tell us if our car is gone for good, or if he can save it! We can't complain too much, we paid $600.00 for it and haven't had any problems with it, it's lasted over a year so we've been lucky :)
It can soften things when we see that we are in no way struggling alone. Please run old cars!! Im so much more greatful for so much less these days. I use to love my car because it smelled like leather and had lots of bobbles. Now I love it because it has carried my family to many precious memories. Your car has been a gem for that same reason. What could replacethe car that carried your babies home, took you to watch Scotty walk again, and hauled the coach and her team to practice.
Ah Amy! I'm so sorry about your van. :( Remember how the first thing I did when you had that thing was unsuccessfully park it in your garage? haha. I so hope you can get that fixed asap. Let us know if there's anyway we can help. (Don't laugh. I mean it) I don't know how often I think about what we'd do if Shawn's truck broke. Oh man, we'd be soo lost. But you have reminded me, at least we have bikes...:)
Post a Comment