3.01.2010

Runaway

I saw it coming.
He was having a bad night.
Lots of meltdowns and such.  He woke up at 6 am and has a head cold.
He didn't eat his lunch well.  He laid on the floor writhing and whining while I begged the chicken to cook quicker for his dinner.  I finally directed him to put on his pajamas while he waited for his dinner, and this was the straw that broke Aidan's back.  The wailing stopped and he had a look of determination on his face.  I watched him dump his school stuff out of his bag and load other necessities into it and head for the front door.

"Where are you going son?"
no answer.

I watched him walk slowly across the street to the park.  By this time his siblings had noticed something was afoot and they gathered around the front window.
"What's Aidan doing?" they all asked.
"I believe he's running away", I answered as I headed back to check on that chicken.

I heard the door shut just as the timer beeped on the oven.  Dinner was ready.  When I went to greet Aidan I found no one there. Looking out the window I saw Asher, barefoot, with his arm around Aidan guiding him home to a warm meal.

We all welcomed him back at the dinner table.  With a full belly, clean teeth, and a story read Aidan quickly drifted off to dreamland.

As I tucked Asher in I had to ask, "Son, what did you tell Aidan to get him to come home?"
"I just asked him why he was mad, and he said you guys were mean to him.  Then I told him to just come home and eat dinner and it would be okay."

Brothers are priceless.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

That Asher is quite the man! Sometimes we all need to run away...

Anonymous said...

What a good boy! I sure love my brother!

Troop 442 said...

I love how you took a picture of him while he was "running away". Only a blogger mom would do that... I'm glad Asher talked him down off the cliff. Thank goodness for brothers.

Molly Thorne said...

Its funny how my kids seem to fight daily but if mom or dad is upset with them they ban together.

Kelly said...

That is so sweet. I'm glad Aiden has Asher.

Em said...

I like how smoothly you took the whole event. When I ran away for 3 hours one afternoon. Nobody noticed. And after i got tired of sitting in the Turner's potato field I went home just in time for dinner. And it did make me feel better.

Carrick family said...

OHHH AHHH! SO CUTE!! i LOVE HOW YOU DESCRIBED EVERYTHING AND SIBLINGS ARE PRICELESS. LOVE THIS!

Calvin said...

I think my brother would have either pointed me towards the bus depot or at least locked the door

gabby said...

this was too cute