I went to check on the littles one last time before I headed to bed.
Pull up the covers, rub their cheek.
When I got to Aidan I instinctively reached up to pull his thumb out of his mouth.
His thumb wasn't in his mouth.
Then I asked myself, "Does Aidan suck his thumb?"
I walked back to our room and asked Scott.
It was a yes. Of course it was a yes. He's sucked his thumb since he was in utero.
We have a picture of that.
As he's gotten older he would only suck his thumb if he had his blanket and was tired or hurt.
He'd wind up the little yarn ties on his blanket and stick one in his ear while he sucked that thumb.
I remembered old conversations I've had with him about what comes out of his thumb.
He was convinced for quite a long time that he was receiving some kind of nutrition from it.
Funny boy.
So he's almost 8. I've never really worried about the thumb sucking. I figured he would just stop when he was ready and I'm already planning on braces. Besides it comforted him and he was comfortable with it.
I realized it's been quite some time since I've seen him suck his thumb.
So, it's over with no fanfare. How come I didn't get the memo on that?
And now there is only one thumb sucker round here.
3 comments:
I wonder when I quitsucking my finger. I had to have a certain pillow. I never let mom know that was the magic duo. She and dad put yuck on my finger to get me to stop that just meant I had to suck it harder to get the yuck of so I could soothe into it. Smart mom amy you know braces are cheaper then therapy.
I used to suck the front of my shirts
So cute! Everyone has their own something that can make them feel better. It is ok to suck thumb!
Post a Comment