You read that right. Toofs.
Once upon a time we had Asher convinced that if you had a fake tooth or teeth they were referred to as toofs. See, Scott had his tooth knocked out as an unruly kid flying down a hill on a bike. Trying to beat his Dad home because Scott shouldn't have been out of the house. He wrecked into a car and his face met curbing. (Funny, a similar thing happened to him as an adult. Except he was flying in a jazzy. Word.)
So anyhow,
we had our innocent kid convinced and he continually referred to fake teeth as toofs and we loved it and laughed.
After all isn't that what children are great for.
So Chloe has braces. I'm a bit jealous.
But there are only so many student loans a man can get. Actually there are quite a few a man can get if he goes to school for, oh say, 7 years.
Anyway. I'm not on the list.
I'm a bit bitter.
I wasn't on the list as a kid either.
My teeth weren't "bad enough". With several siblings I rated middle of the pack- not perfect straight like Ginger's, not corn on the cob through a chain link fence like.... Molly's. Sorry Mol. There's proof, but I won't post it if your comments are nice :)
I whined to Dad about the gap in between my front teeth, and he claimed it gave me character. The gap fixed itself in my early twenties.
I have crooked bottom teeth and an overbite. My smile covers those things.
But I dream of a perfect pearly white smile like Molly now has, Ginger was born with, and Terri paid through the nose for.
So I made a free consultation appointment at Chloe's orthodontist.
I just wanted to know...how bad are they?
They took lots of strange pictures of every angle. Then they blow those pictures up in front of your face with the orthodontist goes over things with you.
I have to say. Nice guy. Real nice guy. Some of these quotes, taken out of the context of the whole conversation sound, well, mean. But he is a nice guy.
I know I've got an overbite and crooked bottom teeth, but imagine my surprise when he turns and asks me, "Were you hit in the face or did you have an accident and hit your face as a kid?"
Huh?
Really?
ouch.
I wanted to say yes so I had an excuse for the next thing he was about to say.
But it's a no, so...my jaw bone is longer on one side than the other.
Yep.
Left jaw bone longer than right. Significantly. So my bite sits funny, my mouth opens crooked (I've noticed this on tape when I talk), my chin is too far back, and not in alignment with the midline of my face AND I"m buck-toothed.
Wondering if I can blame my rough delivery with forceps for this? Anyone have Dr. Henry's address and I'll send him a bill?
To soften the blow the orthodontist did mention that my two baby teeth have the longest roots he's ever seen on baby teeth!! Go baby teeth.
He also mentioned "Hollywood polishing" to even out the bottom of my front teeth. I remember sitting on the bathroom counter with a metal nail file and going to town on the bottom of those front teeth.
That would be "Burley polishing" I presume.
Wondering if it would be better at this point to have them all pulled and get some toofs.
Tempting.
9 comments:
Burley polishing! Loved it.
And you have a beautiful smile - it is the smile of a happy person.
You my friend are H-ilarious! You have a beautiful smile. No one would ever know your jaw bones are crooked, and I won't tell!
I say go for the toofs! Laughing - Laughing hard over here! I had a consultation about 3 years ago. I have an overbite that I can stick a whole finger in! I think our parents forgot about their middle two children!
I'm not saying anything. I think I am getting a gap in my teeth if that makes you feel better.
I've never noticed your teeth being weird... honest.. great post..
I just assumed you go hit in the face.. best quote ever! priceless...
Ok so I had Kate helping me get the black speck of my tooth last week ,then she grimises and leans forward and says. Mom are your gums receeding . Yes they are Im old and I would kill for perfect teeth that were not toofs. Yours are great goof ball!
when you were little your red headed temper flared up and I struck you sorry you so uggy mom
That's the best comment Bonita has ever made on a blog. Thanks for the laugh Mom.
LOL! Thanks for the laughs MOM! sorry you so uggy!! OH man!
Post a Comment