1.24.2009

9 Years of Smasheroni




Asher means "happy".  That was one of things that really drew me to the name.  And lo and behold we were blessed with our first little boy with a smile as wide as the Grand Canyon.  Oh he was a cute one.  The drool just ran from that big smile and we just loved every minute of it.  He's 9 today.  He's growing up so fast.  He's a good boy.  A boy with a lot of responsibilities.  I am often reminding him of his importance as the oldest brother.  He is looked up to by his brothers and I want him to remember that and choose wisely.  When Scott found out about his brain tumor Asher had just turned 5.  He was just a little guy, but he soaked up a lot.  I never imagined the road our family would travel over the next 4 years, and I definitely didn't think of all the things I would come to depend on my then little 5 year old for.  Just this Christmas I picked out a tree and had it shoved in the back of the van.  Being very pregnant I thought I'd need some help, and so Asher was the man.  He and I together pulled that 7 foot tree out, carried it in the house and lifted it into the stand.  He does the dirty work of garbages and dog poo, he does the heavy work of carrying the heaviest grocery bags in, or helping his Mom move furniture.  Nothing warms my heart like when I ask for his help on a difficult task and he responds with "I'm on it!"  He's Scott's go-to-guy when he needs help loading his power chair. He is Scott's steady little hands when there is a project Scott needs to accomplish.  He is fun and funny.  He makes friends with ease.  He loves to sing, loud, random songs.  He is my mini-me with his cute freckles and button nose.  He is growing up and I am so proud of him.  I cannot wait to see the young man he will become, but I sure love to cuddle him up when I can.   

8 comments:

Em said...

Aunt Emily loves you Ash.
9 years goes fast, Scotty looks so young in those pictures (as does the cute little boy he's holding).

Unknown said...

If he turns out as good as his mom and dad, he'll be a fine man indeed. Happy birthday, Asher!

shawn rowley said...

he couldn't be any better.

i'm proud to know him.

JP Anderson said...

I can't believe how fast you're growing in many ways. You'll be a man younger than most. Happy birthday Smash.

Jen said...

I love you Ashy boy - Happy birthday. Thansk for all you do for your family , your a great example.

Molly Thorne said...

I forget that He and Ethan are the same age, I expect to see the same little kid every time I come to visit and he's not. Your kids are all so helpful. Happy b-day Smashy.

Calvin said...

Ahhhh, great post

Ging said...

SMASH- Happy day buddy!! You are exactly what your Mom and Dad needed, exactly when they needed it. I hope this serves to strengthen their resolve on days when your will is stronger than their will-power!!