8.04.2009

Follow your Destiny...and don't let your Mama get in your way!

She's been asking me for years, really, years, to help her sew something.  
I did take 4-H back in the day and made a personal hygiene caddy out of a towel. 
I have no sewing skills, BUT I do have a sewing machine (thanks Dad!)
Before we had the machine Chloe wanted to hand sew, but now she really wants to use that machine.  She has friends who sew, and their mothers sew.  I guess she just couldn't understand why I hadn't figured this out yet.  

Chloe earned a reward recently and was deciding what to pick out. 
She quietly asked, "How about some fabric Mom?"
(My head said, "Oh no, not again.  I've run out of excuses")
My mouth said, "Great idea.  It's about time we got that machine out".

She invited her friend over who has her own machine and is rather talented.
Her friend patiently waited while I read the manual to figure out how to thread the machine. 
Chloe was dying to get to the sewing part and so she kept hinting, "Mom, Hannah knows how to do that.  She's done it a million times.  Why don't you let her do it?"

Only one way for me to learn.

I finally figured it out, and then I turned it over to the two girls.  
Chloe whipped out two pillowcases, a summer and a winter one. 
She was SO excited!  I was so glad I had finally given in to her pleadings, and so sad that I hadn't let her try this out sooner. I shouldn't let my laziness/lack of knowledge stand in the way of my children's desire to create.  





5 comments:

Denise said...

I love it! What I love most is that I feel like you just gave me a good 5 more years of putting McKay off before I HAVE to let her sew something. Maybe in those 5 years I can learn and then I will be anxious to teach her, probably not, but maybe.

Jen said...

AWWWW that's my girl! OHHH I mean good job Aim! That pillowcase looks awesome Chlo! Love you!

Unknown said...

Chloe - come 8.16.09 - there may be new and exciting uses for your new and exciting sewing skills...

Ging said...

Hurray for both of you. Few things intimidate me more than allowing my children to do that which I cannot, but few things are more rewarding as a parent.

Post note: Jenny knows about the shorts- that's probably why she sews....

Kelly Hill said...

Okay, here I go... breaking the silence!

Whew!

That wasn't too bad. Blog on....