Today was Aidan's first day of Kindergarten. He was so excited. He was the first one up and dressed and then made toast for everyone. As with most mornings lately, I open up all the windows and even the doors to let that cool morning air run through the house. It always feels so good. I was upstairs getting ready to walk Aidan to school when he came hollering up the stairs.
"A wild animal's in the house", he yelled at me.
I figured one of the neighbor's 6 cats wandered in.
I headed downstairs to the half bathroom where Aidan said it was hiding behind the door. Asher saw it's black fur behind the door and said, "Oh Mom, it a kitten", and then went to reach for it.
Just then it stuck it's long neck out from behind the door.
Definitely not a kitten!
It was a wild mink!
I've had mink experience and so I herded the children away from the mink.
*flashback*2003
Claire had been barking non-stop in her kennel.
Scott went out to find what he thought was a baby skunk hiding under her dog house. He then proceeded to try to scare it out with a shovel, only to have the animal bite the end of the shovel and give it a good shake. Needless to say, this freaked him out. He hollered for me to bring the garden hose. I did, and sprayed at the animal. Turns out it was a mink. I'd spray, Scott would whack at it with the shovel and that thing would hiss and bite at Scott. He was screaming like a girl and standing on top of the dog house. (of course I sprayed Scott with the hose every now and then just for laughs). Eventually, he sent me for backup. I went to get our neighbor, thinking he'd come out with some garden tool to help. I was wrong. "Just let me grab my shotgun" our neighbor man replies. So out he goes with his shot gun. Scott scares the mink out and BANG! No more mink, but in true Scott humor he looks at me and says, "Amy, you want some mink panties?" nice dear, real nice.
So I'm nervous about this mink that is sniffing around in the bathroom. I clap my hands at it and yell at it and it looks at me like I'm crazy, then saunters out the door it came in. I locked the door, snapped some photos of Aidan on the porch, snapped a photo of the mink leaving the vicinity, and walked Aidan to school. He kept telling me how excited he was for recess, and how smart he is. He's so ready for school. When I picked him up a whole 2 hours and 23 minutes later, he told me about snacks, and recess, and a "kissing paw", and how much fun he had, and when does he get to go back? However, when we got home, there was Mr.Mink hiding behind the garbage can. I've called animal control to no avail. I'll let you know how it turns out. Hey, I might get a chance at another pair of mink panties.
12 comments:
Make sure those Mink panties are satin lined or you might have some itching problems. -Love wendy.
I thought Aidan would like school. I hope it lasts. Good luck with the mink.
Holy Crap that was a funny story - even if I don't particulary care for "you" anymore! Oh and on another holy crap - Wendy is that you blogging under your daughters name ! Nice to see you here!
Dawson has that same guitar shirt, he loves it. I would have been freaked out, good job Aim
I can't believe I laughed harder the second time I heard this story. Amy your story-telling skills are legendary as is your life. Are you sure yer not making this stuff up? By the way- start saving these mink pelts- for Pete's Sake let's all think beyond the essentials- with a little luck or a lack thereof you might just find yourself with more than a few pelts with which to make a coat. Panties schmanties.....
What the !! I am staring at your story slack jawed, no one has minks running through their house, that just doesn't happen! No one is going to believe me when I try to share this.
I must admit that Scott's little girl screams at a rabid shovel eating mink topped it off better than I could have ever hoped...
Mink?! Here kitty kitty
Amy, your life is the stuff of legends. Thanks for all the laughs.
Oh Amy you handled that so well. I wouldhave freaked out and locked it in the bathroom and gone to get the man with the gun. Way to be brave. Heather
Oh, your life... I would have been screaming like a little girl, having something gross like that in my house. Yuck! And I did love the story of Scott too! Perhaps you should make matching mink Christmas dresses for your girls.
I loved the flashback story, would have enjoyed observing the work in progress.
YUCK!!! I had no idea we even had wild mink out here! We have firearms over here if you are in need of assistance...
haha. woah. amy nice...i remember that old mink incident. those things are mean. John 'n I tried to save one once from a big ol' empty ditch hole it was in. and all it did was bite at the wood plank we put down there.
oh. and stop complaining that i dont read all your posts. you have a bigger reader following than grisham.
Post a Comment