9.24.2008

Questions from an 8-year-old

Last night Asher came home from playing with a friend and quickly found me  because he had some pressing questions.

He said, "Mom, I have 2 questions. First, Jake told me that my parents were really Santa and that you buy all the presents.  Is that right?"

Now, how long do I keep up this Santa stuff.  He's only 8.  But what is that discussion going to look like when he goes back to his friend and defends Santa?  I don't know.  I didn't want the dream to die, so I told him, "Ash, of course we're not Santa.  We don't have enough money to buy all those toys."   He was satisfied.  He replied, "I told him."  

Next question.

"Jake also told me that parents have super powers.  Not like superheros and stuff, but like if we were in the store and a kidnapper tried to take me and I was 3 aisles away, if I screamed would you know it was me?"

i love it.

"Actually, yes Asher I would know your scream."

"Cool!", he said, "I can't wait to be a parent!" 

Wasn't that last question great?  I never had thought of it as Parental SuperPowers, but I guess they kind of are.  

2 comments:

Molly Thorne said...

That's funny stuff. Glad he is looking forward to being a parent

Calvin said...

I've always said you deserve a cape