3.09.2009

On this day 4 years ago...


" I've been in the surgery waiting room since 11:30 a.m. It's 4:40 now.  They call every hour and a half and give us updates.  I've gotten 3 and they just tell you that surgery is going well.  Mom came around 12:30 and brought this journal and my book To Draw Closer to God.  She bought me a sandwich and rubbed my feet.  After she left I slept for 1/2 hour then decided to write and  take some pictures. Scott's Grandma Dorothy and Michael arrived.  Terri's with the kids and Karen is going to take them to dinner and swimming.  I'll keep waiting and praying. "

From my journal

It's odd to read back over my journal, and painful.  We've come so far, and yet there's so far left to go.  Scott held Grace for me so I could get ready for bed the other night.  She was screaming.  As I washed my face I could hear him quietly saying, "You're okay Grace.  You're okay." She just kept right on screaming, but he never quit trying to quietly soothe her.  "What patience! ", I thought.  This challenge has definitely brought out some of Scott's best qualities, and some of my flaws.  I remember sitting at my dining room table talking to Terri one day and sobbing, asking how could I live a life like this?  What if things never got better? I doubted that I could do it.  I had so much learning and growing to do, I still do.  

The most difficult part has been to accept the will of God in my life and remember that he has a plan. " Be still and know that I am God".  

Scott is not a quitter, and he doesn't put limits on himself.  He pushes forward and challenges himself and finds happiness by meeting those challenges.   

We've been talking about unity a lot in our ward, Stake, and with our home teachers.  Challenges have the ability to unify a family, a ward,  a Stake, if everyone does their part.  If everyone has charity in their hearts and looks for ways to lighten the overall burden.  I feel so much love for my ward and neighbors and for my family and Scott's.  I think this is because when we had our most difficult times and felt our lowest and weakest these people were there as God's hands lifting us, pushing us forward, loving us better. I felt so unified with all these people who were an answer to my prayers, and I still feel that unity.  I still read little notes I was given, and go through my journal to remind myself of all the love and goodness in this world.  And to remember that we can be an answer to someone's prayers.

Happy Anniversary Scotty! 




13 comments:

Molly Thorne said...

That was very sweet. It's so good to have a journal to remember what we think we will never forget. You both have grown so much and become even better people. Still waiting for the book.

Ging said...

Thank you Amy. Thank you for your life, your example and your amazing determination. I appreciate so much what I have learned by simply watching. I am also so thankful that you listen so well to the mundane little things that sometimes get me down. I never feel as though you think my trials are less (although they seem to be) just different. This was a perfect summing-up of some important lessons I have had to be reminded of this month. I love you both so much. What a gift

shawn rowley said...

God bless you both.

Kristen said...

If you don't think you have patience, you're crazy. Your kids are amazing and it's because you're both great parents. Scott needed someone special for this journey, and it's you. You Rock!!!!

Unknown said...

I warm my hands at the (forest) fire of your faith...

Anonymous said...

I have goosebumps. Sheesh, Aim. Your life is an example to us all! Thanks and mucho love.

Em said...

Thanks for sharing this little (large) nugget of perspective. I feel so insensitive for complaining about not being able to go out with Shawn this weekend. Its really been quite the journey... Love you Aim.

Jen said...

Wow , you both are so strong and such an example to us all! I think you both have such amazing patience and love. Thanks for the example and Scotty I love you too!

Kati said...

Your life is an example of PURE love. I am always in complete awe of you and the goodness you have. You are the most patient person I know. I think of you often. I think you are amazing.

Terri said...

I should watch the kids every year on this day why you go out and celebrate the the endless progress and fortitude this has created in you as individuals and as a team.

JP Anderson said...

I remember Mom getting off the phone with you and then telling me in the kitchen that Scott had a brain tumor. I then did what I could to comfort her. I showed little emotion when she asked "aren't you worried?" I don't remember what I said to her but remember feeling that you two were ready to walk through fire. I wish that Felicia could have known the old Scott and Amy to better appreciate the refined Scott and Amy. You guys are tough as nails. Happy Anniversary.

crush said...

You are an inspiration to us all, Amy. And such an example of patience, determination and love. I remember moving into this ward and hearing your story and just being in awe of how self-sufficient you are (sometimes to a flaw.....hint-hint), how well behaved your kids are, how nice and wonderful you are, how great Scott is and how amazing of a family you are. You are an example to me and I'm so glad to know you.
XO

Calvin said...

thanks for making me cry...eesh

You both have been such an example to us, yes both, you may hate hearing that, but deal... we love you