My uber-talented sister Jen made my Mother a very cute stitched portrait of our family. There's my parents, all 8 of us siblings, and my brother's 2 dogs. Uber-talented Jen says that my Mom gave the 411 on who should wear what, hairstyles, etc. I guess Mom thought back in her memory bank and pulled out dusty memories of what our signature style was as a child (why isn't Ginger nakey?) and the hairdo that accompanies that age. There are sweet blonde piggy tails, curly hair, polka dots and denim, bows and frills, and then there is this one child with a RED MULLET, a blouse, and a schoolmarm skirt.
Guess who?
That'd be me. Yep. I'm just wondering where those enormous thick glasses are? I think Jen's stitching hand must've been cramping. I have been saved forever in DMS floss as a 3rd grader with a real bad haircut and a very proper uniform. ( I am tempted to scan in my 3rd grade school photo right now. But my pride people, my pride!) Ah well, whenever I visit the folks and take a minute to enjoy my uber-talented sister Jen's art I really love the feelings of love and family and togetherness it pulls from me. I love the 3 older girls to the right of Dad and Mom and the 5 younger kids to the left-depicting that age gap. I love baby Emily with her sponge-roller induced red curls. I think of family vacations to Disneyland, the raspberry patch, gardening, and cleaning those enormous hall closets. I think of our long kitchen bar with us on one side and Mom working her heiny off on the other side. I love Dad's loooong Levi's and Mom's yellow shirt- a favorite color of hers to be sure. It really is a great representation of our family- even if I was captured at the height of my dorkiness.

10 comments:
You are so bitter about your past Aim! Get some counseling! You did have a mullet and you did dress that way - I only stitch the truth! I'm just sayin! LOL! Don't i look cute right there next to you with my pigtails. OH man if only I could have correctly stitched your freckles - now that would have been a complete package!
I like how my sponge-roller-induced head is cut in 1/2 so mercifully. I went through all the same awkward stage you did Amy, just earlier. :)
Wah wah.... Your mullet is an upgrade from what could have been, which I think should have been. That would be your tidal-wave bangs. They were what you might call "native" to Burley. You see, they maintain themselves once sprayed up there. Just step into the wind every so often and you're good for a month. She should have put you in a yellow gym shirt with your name on it and short green shorts with you rockin the wave.
My favorite is definitely Molly. If you squint your eyes just a little it looks like an actual photo of her. Very accurate! Well done Jen.
I want to see the whole picture -- where is this, how did I miss it?
Who are you me?
To "me" and however might want a better look, I've posted more detailed pictures of this famous piece by Jenny on my blog. Come have a closer look.
I just keep reading this post and all the new comments and laughing sooo hard! So funny!
Jen,
Glad you're getting so much pleasure from my awkward phase. I think I feel a post coming on- siblings with funny teeth and hair that only a mother could love!
no amy. no.
I will say it again. I love this work of art! Capturing us at the height of our dorkiness is a sign of purity in thought. On another hand Amy,in order that birth-order might be established it is best to stick to an age gap and thus a "naked teenaged Ginger" would have been unacceptable and down-right creepy.
Post a Comment