I always buy school pictures of the kids. I have a scrapbook that is just waiting for me to line these little wallet portraits up in order . As I looked through the picture flyer I noted that the cheapest package was $15. That means $45 for me when all is said and done. What if I didn't buy them this year? It feels almost unmotherly
not to purchase pictures of your flesh and blood with their hair all done and a clean shirt on. I'd be breaking "tradition". But I'm not buying those photos because they're great pictures of my kids, I"m buying them because I always buy them. So I threw caution to the wind and told the kids that we would not be buying school pictures. I still got them all dressed up and fixed their hair because they'll take your picture regardless of you purchasing, and also because I decided I'd take their school pictures myself. We can then print off exactly what sizes and amounts we want for a fraction of the cost. Sounded good to me, and the kids were happy about it all. Here's to changing my thinking, throwing that guilt out the door, and saving some money too.
10 comments:
We are on the same page this year. i also said bag it to thier mediocre pics at a premium price................................ I may need you to take a picure :(
terri not the gabber
I started doing that last year, and I didn't regret it. I didnt really miss the school pic background. I did however, get Sam's done now that he is in Jr.high and I wish I would have just done it myself again this year. So I am going to take Brits myself this year again.
hmm, I'm not sure I agree, though you mke a good point. Looking back on my school pictures is a mixture. The young ones are cute and the tweens and teens are painful. But I remember the year Mom and Dad couldn't afford to buy them.. I remember feeling like an outsider and that something was wrong with us when everyone got their packets handed back and I didn't get one... Just sayin...
Cute as always Aim!!! I have considered that many a time but always give in and get the Al-A-Carte picture for $6.00!!
Amen, sista. . . . I did the same thing (although I did buy the class pic---you gotta have something to remember 'whatshername' someday). I have the same 'tradition-itis', whether something is what I like or not.
Ok, i see no problem in this. I always ended up getting retakes and your pictures are WAY better.
I've run into lots of wallet size pictures of us kids that were never used. They can see the mediocre picture in the yearbook and the awesome picture they can use for posting on their blog years later, unlike their mother had an option for.
of course I'm a huge fan of taking your own pics... just go to my photo bucket account... but I don't think 6 bucks is a big deal... even times multiple chillins.. you know I love your photography skills Amy... but a quilt backdrop? Really? Next you're going to start sewing all of their clothes and not let Chloe get a haircut... if you start talking about homeschool we're going to have an intervention.... crap, I bet someone who reads this does homeschool... ah well.. :)
Good idea. I've been doing my own for years, but like some of the previous posts, I do still buy something just to have. You did great with the lighting... I especially like Asher's. You could use a reflector (or posterboard or sheet or something) on the side of the face opposite the window to lessen the shadows a little and even out the lighting a little bit. Great job, though, and great way to save some cash.
I hate buying those things but the kids do feel bad when they hand out pictures and don't receive. Our schools however take one at the beginning and one at he end that includes a class picture. I tell them they would rather get the class pic and then I let them get something from a book order or this year they got the schools sweatshirt instead of pics.
Post a Comment