I had a friend recently ask me if I thought all redheads were feisty and fiery.
I thought of those redheads I know best.
Mom
Ging
Em
Me with mustache made from my own hair
He made the connection that perhaps they actually become feisty and fiery as a result of the reaction people have to their hair. You know, sometimes redheads are teased.
As a child/teen I heard things like -
carrot top, Big Red, redheaded step-child, and others not fit for this blog. Those are just names for the hair and not the freckles that come as a packaged deal. I've been asked if I have fire in my belly, am I more sensitive to pain, do I have a sharp tongue? When I tried out for the part of Shelby in Steel Magnolias I was denied for a brunette actress, and told later the playhouse worried about finding a short red wig that would match my hair well, and be cost effective. It may have just been my acting, but the hair came into play. I once had a neighbor man (grown man) ask if all redheads had a strange odor because he'd known one as a child who did and assumed all did? Huh?
However, as I got older things changed from teasing to envy. The "different" color was something others wanted. I actually had a lady(whom I didn't know) in WalMart ask if this was my actual hair color. When I replied in the affirmative she slapped my arm and said, "I hate you." This hair has never seen a dye bottle, but I assume it will as I turn to gray one day and then struggle to match the color.
Of course I can't take any credit for my hair color- I give that credit to my mother, and her mother, and well, I'm not sure how far back that goes, but it was through no effort of my own.
All in all the redheads I hold closest to my heart are fiery women. Smart women. Strong women. Really funny women. Adventurous women. They've entered slip n' slide competitions, fought wildfires in the mountains, overcome polio and lived in an iron lung for a year, danced like no one was watching, sang like they knew every note, and loved with everything they have. Fiery-check. Feisty-check. Can it all be attributed to "the hair"? I don't think so, but it's an entertaining thought.
I would like to invite all those redheads I know and love to save their money and let's attend
And for all those who know and love a redhead- go get her something here:




7 comments:
Me First. Me First. I love this. Of course I am one of those redheads of whom you speak. I get'cha too. Not only did I have a carrot top by 4th grade, I also had the name to match.To this day people still ask me if my mother named me for my hair. I was bald. I was bullied for my red hair through grade school, teased a bit during Junior high and mostly admired ever since. I too have been accused of dying my hair and never have. The good news is I always loved my hair. Some of my favorite people shared the color.
Firey and Fiesty indeed! Smart, strong crazy & envied for sure! I love all my redheaded women!
As I've gotten older my hair has gotten that red tinge (hence the blog name), but I dunno if I'm qualified to have the 'do. Am I feisty enough? Hmm...well...one of my many nicknames as a child was "Screamin' Demon."
Amy you are by far my favorite redhead. Luc's precious redhair is slowly getting lighter and lighter and now is barely strawberry blonde. It makes me so sad. He does still have the fiesty-ness though.
McKay has a little friend with fire-engine-red tight curly hair (a la Annie) and I absolutely love it. I had never thought of it as being a worry as a mother until I talked to her mom and she says it just makes her sick to think of her going to school next year and getting made fun of. Someday she'll be the envy of all her friends. Just like you!
You know I want to go to the Netherlands. that's settled. But I do not approve of my Jay Leno chin face. Tell me, of your non-redheaded siblings, which AREN'T fiesty? Huh huh!? Thats what I thought.
That was good stuff and I know I have red tinges so Im comin to the Netherlands with ya for a Bonie good time. Even if I have to hang out with you uncontrolable red heads.
I love you and your beautiful red hair!
And, I love the picture of your mom.
Hillarious.
Post a Comment