10.03.2009

A mother's prayer

My boys came home late from school on Friday.
Of course I was watching for them.  I saw them approach the house slowly, together, chatting.
When they got inside I asked what took them.
They had stopped at the waterfall @ the park to throw in rocks.
Okay. But something else was going on. Mother's intuition had kicked in.
So, how was your day?
Standing side by side Asher starts telling me that at recess Aidan came running over to give Asher a hug while Asher was playing with some "friends".  As Aidan approached Asher, one of Asher's "friends" stepped in front of him.  He then announced that he knew karate and started to shake Aidan by the shoulders.  As Asher is relaying the story I'm watching his shoulders get tense, his voice get tight.  Aidan is staring at Asher with wide eyes, nodding his affirmation of the story.  Asher told his "friend" that this was his brother, but then Asher's friend threw Aidan on the ground and hopped on him.  I'm trying not to over react, but just ask the right questions and get the full story.  What did you do Asher? I told him to get off  and tried to pull him off Aidan.  Then my friend stood up and kicked Aidan.  He kicked Aidan?  Yeah. yeah Aidan chimes in.  Asher's emotions are now in his throat.  Why would your friend treat Aidan like that?  The dam broke and tears start streaming down Asher's face.  I told him it was my brother and to leave him alone Mom.  I feel like this is all my fault.  Why would this be your fault son?  Because _____ is my friend, and he hurt my brother.  Now my emotions are coming to the surface. You did what you could to protect your brother and correct your "friend" Asher, it's okay.  After the incident Asher took Aidan to the duty guard to report the bullying.  Aidan didn't want to, and ran off to play.  Asher returned to the said "friend" who then turned on Asher and started to tease him about his compassion for his brother. Asher and I talked about what actually constitutes a "friend".  This incident didn't seem to phase Aidan, but it really bothered Asher.  Of course I didn't like hearing how Aidan was mistreated, but I was so proud to hear how Asher reacted.  I was glad that recalling how his "friend" treated his brother brought him to tears.  Every morning if I say the prayer I pray that  my children will be examples to others, that they will be representatives of Jesus Christ, that they will be kind, oh and learn something too.  I know some children take out their pain on others at school, but I always hope that my children will be brave enough to stand up and say something.  I was proud today.

9 comments:

Kelly Hill said...

Absolutely beautiful! What a great job you've done in raising amazing children.

shawn rowley said...

i hope adian is ok. and i hope asher excises this little moron from his crcle of freinds

the Wilcox Family said...

What a good kid!

Kelly said...

I'm so proud of Asher. You've done a good job!!!

I'll be taking Zack out of school now.

Em said...

Ahhh...that story made my eyes water a bit. What a good big brother. I mean, the premise of "running over to give him a hug" is pretty sweet right there, but Asher obviously is a good friend.

Ging said...

Wow- I am so glad Asher has Aidan and Aidan has Asher. Some of the most painful lessons are the most poignant. Sweet boys - your Aunt Ging is so proud of you. I am!! I am going to get my disguise out of the closet watch for me on the playground Tuesday...
:-)

Lesa said...

what a sweetheart!!! brotherhood CAN be so special.

Terri said...

When the goin gets tough tthe tough get goin. Sometimes we dont know what were made of until we have to stand for something. What a great thing to stand for brotherhood. Thems my good boys.

JP Anderson said...

It must run in the Anderson blood to protect your younger, smaller sibling. I know I've heard stories of Jenny saving your bacon or standing up for you a time or two. And Molly has stuck her nose out for me when we were both at Dworshak (isn't that a funny word?). As for me protecting Emily, well...., she held her own, crotch kickin and all. Nobody would want to mess with this ball of fury anyways.

ps. I haven't heard but I'd bet Terri was a force to be reckoned with on the playground. "Oh no you didn't!"