3.09.2011

Lucky you're alive.

Day 5:


Here it is again.
Scott's Anniversary.
I told him in the car at 6:00 this morning "It's your anniversary dear."
"Not an Anniversary Amy."
"Okay, a celebration of how far you've come since this day 6 years ago."
"Alright. Fine. It's a mark. A moment. "

Then we talked about the day we drove up to the University of Utah hospital's Emergency Room.
We'd waited long enough for a return call from a neurosurgeon and Scott's symptoms were becoming scary. So, we headed to the E.R. to announce at the little window "Hi, I'm here with my husband. He has a brain tumor. He's in immense pain."

We talked about driving up there so unsuspecting. Unknowing. Just ready to fix the problem and move on.  "He'll need some therapy before he can get back to work."
We can do that. Some therapy. Okay.

Certainly we got more than we bargained for.
I sometimes put myself in Scott's shoes.
Kissing your wife goodbye in the operating room.
Waking several hours later in a body, not your own.
Fighting over the next several weeks to perform the most basic tasks. Losing so much of what you've known. I can't imagine the immense fear. It would be easy to think of the day as a day of loss.





While Scott was in the hospital I brought the video camera up only once I believe.
It was difficult to do, but I made myself.
I did not want to record this painful time, but I had hope for things to improve, and wanted a record of just how far we've come. ( I'm busy finding that video to watch tonight. )

So today, we celebrate the progress Scott's made, and our family has made since March 11, 2005.
Today I am lucky to have him.

By the way, he is in on the couch snoring. As we talked this morning on the way to the bus he finally said, "Just take me home. It's my "Anniversary" and I'm taking the day off."  :)
Day off.

10 comments:

Bonnie Anderson said...

what a blessing scott has been in my life . I have seen the lords hand in your life many times. here is a big smoocharoo to you scott. mom

Terri said...

ya I think its like Gingers gotcha day. We are so glad we gotcha back. I love you more than the rest of them yaa hoos..truely I do.

Jen said...

Whatever Terri you can't claim the top spot. OHH Scotty I love you you really are amazing and a blessing to our family!

JP Anderson said...

Good call on the, "I'm taking the day off" Scott. Can't believe it's been this long.

Unknown said...

Scott & Amy - you are the two most brave people I know.

You have shown us all how to endure in faith and in good cheer.

I count myself lucky to know you both.

And sorry about the beads/wheat/rice/? in your vacuum cleaner...;-)

Em said...

An awesome anniversary. I very clearly can go back but I prefer where we are at today. So I'll stay in today and celebrate your triumph with some Arbys'. Love you both so much.

Lesa said...

You guys ROCK!!!!! You are both amazing and you inspire me MUCHO!!!!!!

Carrick family said...

Thanks for sharing this! It is amazing how much he has improved! He is sure lucky to have you! YOu are such a sweetest and good wife to him! You are still amazing me everyday!

Ging said...

Great post. I talk about your courage and example to so many people. The inspiration is far reaching. There will be a prize for that, I am sure.

Kati said...

You both are simply amazing. Your story touches my life every day.

Happy Anniversary to both of you. You have come a long way.