10.22.2008

The fumes of good art.

It's been an artsy week at our house.  With Fall Break and all the kids wanted to create.  So I ran to the good old Target and got some Sculpey, a family favorite.  If you haven't used it before, it's basically modeling clay that you can then bake and it will harden forever.  Asher had a class project to build a monster, and so he created this dinosaur-looking creature with 4 eyes.  Unfortunately, he used some "other" clay on the head and that clay is not bakable (not a word).  So it melted.  All in all, he decided it was cool as the head hollowed itself out and dripped down his monster.  He is planning on telling the class his monster's head exploded.  That'll do.

Chloe decided to do a project for the Reflections program at school.  Last year she made a globe of the world that turned out pretty cool.  All on her own, she decided to create the Eiffel tower.  It's been a lot of work, but it is coming along.  We have to purchase  some more clay so she can finish the tower and add little boats with men in them.  Picture will be posted upon completion. No major hiccups, yet. 

Well, then Aidan decided he'd like to create something, just for fun for me!  I was busy writing out bills and such when he presented me with, "a Western guy".  

Okay?  What's a Western guy?
He explained what makes him a western guy is his hat and the way the edges are turned up.  
It was really cute.  He insisted we get it baked immediately. 
With my 1/2  a brain I had him set the oven 100 degrees hotter than the sculpey is suppose to bake at.  
Brilliant.
I set the timer for 15 minutes and went about my business.  

"GET IN HERE MOM!" Asher yells from the kitchen.
I'm irritated, because after all if I don't have to get up I don't want to (big belly syndrome). 
He insists, so I go in the kitchen and immediately begin coughing.  Smoke is billowing out the sides of the oven.
I open it up and pull out one crispy Western guy and run him out to the deck. The fire alarms all went off and I quickly opened all windows and rushed the kids outside so as to not burn their little lungs.  Now the oven flashes error code F1 and beeps incessantly.  I had to flip the braker (on Dad's suggestion) to get it to be quiet.  

Here's hoping the oven works when I flip it back on, and that Western guy, and his creator, forgive me.   


 

5 comments:

Ging said...

Great story- Was western guy created by Peter Pan?

Amy said...

Nice catch Ging, that is indeed Peter Pan.

Jen said...

I love that Western Man still looks like a Western Man even after being scarred for life! Nice work Aim!!!!

JP Anderson said...

Coming from you, that story has no shock and awe effect. Not that it was so shocking but you could probably write something similar every day. Keep it up Aim. Someday you can write a book.

Calvin said...

Oh, thank you for the wonderful story, I got a great laugh. Scotty called yesterday, I've been gone so much until late at night... tell him I am sorry and will call soon.

Great picture of the western guy and his creator post funeral pyre