2.09.2008

Sink like a ROC!

Ok.  here's the deal.  I've been using my ROC faithfully every night.  When Mom saw that I had some she said, "Oh I have some of that but it just burned my skin."  Not mine.
Until..
now.
Last night I washed my face and began rubbing my miracle cream around my eyes.  Then the burning, oh the burning.  OUCH!  Right around my left eye was just burning.  I washed it off.  This morning I got ready for my TRI class and headed out. 

We learned flip turns in the pool today.  I was excited, but my skin around my eyes w/ my goggles pressed tightly kinda hurt.  So we started working on the flip turn.  Water shot up my nose and felt like it was burning my brain.  I kept at it though.  I would miss the wall at first.  But then I finally made contact with the wall.  Unfortunately all through class I would push off the wall to the FLOOR OF THE POOL!  "Not a time saver", as Jen says.  This one time I pushed off the wall straight to the bottom of the deep end.  Problem was I didn't get a good gulp of air before I started the flip so I was OUT of air.  I hit the bottom of the pool and pushed off the bottom with my feet , shooting myself straight out of the pool like a cannon.  I was sputtering and such and was pretty much embarassed.  Then we did laps and had to do the flip turn every time we got to a wall.  I headed out hoping practice would help.  I headed toward the shallow end.  Didn't think about that "shallow" part.  I flipped and S-c-r-a-t-c-h!  My back scratched the bottom of the pool.  Needless to say I left the pool this morning feeling like I'd been beat about the face with a pair of chlorine filled brass knuckles, and with pool "road rash" on my knee, back and hand.  I thought some moisturizer would help my burning skin when I got out of the pool.  WRONG!  More burning and more splashing water on my face.  Off to biking!

4 comments:

JP Anderson said...

Flip turns aren't so easy at first. They pay off though if you get good at them. You've got to tell yourself, "self, today I will do my flip turns on EVERY lap." You'll be much faster if you get it down. I'm 6'2", it took a while before I wasn't scared of the shallow end of the pool. KEEP IT UP AIM!

Kelly said...

I liked your canon flip turn it was my favorite. As I remember though you got quite a few great flip turns and YOU did not suck up so much air and water that you uncontrollably burped at a stranger like that other gross girl in our class!!! (hope she doesn't read your blog)

Amy said...

Oh Kelly you crack me up! I loved that I kept accusing you of laughing at my crappy flip turn when you were really laughing at your burping after drinking some spiked pool water. That was awesome! Sometimes I can't believe that we don't drown making each other laugh as much as we do in the pool.

Em said...

ah man. i'm proud of you amy. roc burnin your eyes, hitting the pool bottom. scratchin your back. OUCH.

seriously, i can't swim at all. you're lucky your kids made it back from the pool all those times. i was hanging onto them for help. :D