2.05.2008

Wrinkly Old Bag?


 So, I was chatting on the phone with my sister Wendy the other night.  And as we talked and talked I was perched with my nose nearly touching my bathroom mirror waiting to wash my face.  I examined every inch of my skin.  I quickly became discouraged and felt......old. 
 Well, Wendy asked if I used a wrinkle cream.  What?  Oh, now that would make some sense wouldn't it.  So I went wrinkle cream shopping.  I called a few sisters (Molly/Em) to ask what would be best and surprisingly after I came home and did some looking of my own, they were both right on.  This is what I found online:


  What factors promote wrinkles?
-Smoking
-Light skin type (people w/ blue eyes and easily burned skin are more prone to sun damage)
- Heredity (some families wrinkle more)
- Hairstyle (some styles provide cover and protection against sun damage)
- Dress (hats, long sleeves, etc)
- Occupational and recreational habits (farming, sailing, golfing, using tanning booths, etc)

So, good thing I don't smoke.  Light skin- check, heredity- um, not sure on that one, hairstyle- who wears their hair in front of their face? Dress- poor wrinkly nudists, Occupational, Recreational habits- YARD WORK, oh yeah and that one summer when I was dating Scotty and I went to the tanning booth faithfully and was so much.....frecklier!

So, this is why I have age spots (or as their sometimes disgustingly called Liver Spots). And also wrinkles.  Now, don't get me wrong I'm not going to run out and get Botox and I don't need to look 14 when I'm 50, I just want to "age gracefully" as Wendy said.  I don't want to look like I "slept in my face" as Dad says.  So here is what you should look for in your wrinkle cream:


What to look for in a wrinkle cream?
Retinol- An antioxidant that neutralizes free radicals (which cause wrinkles) 
Hydroxy Acids- These are exfoliants which remove the upper layer of old dead skin and stimulate growth of new skin.
Coenzyme Q10- Regulates energy production in cells
Copper Peptides- Stimulate production of collagen
Kinetin- May improve wrinkles and uneven pigmentation, but it's unclear how?
Tea Extracts- Contain antioxidants

And with that I purchased ROC Retinol Active Pur Night Cream.  It was reasonably priced and it had retinol of course.  I've also decided to buy one of those cheesy big straw hats for yard work.  Other than that, the damage has already been done and I must move forward from here.

Here's to miracles!!!  

4 comments:

Kelly said...

Amen Sista. I too have been very concerned with the lines that don't seem to disappear when my expression changes. YUCK. It must be a 30 thing. I have some ROC but haven't used it faithfully. I better start! I read somewhere to sleep on a satin pillow to help prevent wrinkles.

JP Anderson said...

Leave it up to you to do your research. You're always good at that. It's funny you talked about that because Felicia was asking me just last Sat. if she could get some anti-aging cream. I was like, "WHAT!!??" Felicia has said many times and I agree, "she always looks soo cute!"

Em said...

ah man amy. you thought i was lying.

well i want to find a cream to make my face melt off and maybe grow back like yours. i know these things cuz i'm always looking it up. my last year and a 1/2 of eye swelling allergies has left a dent. i have DOUBLED my under eye lines since before. i'm 24. there is no hope.

and i have a new mole on my back i named Mehiko. cuz i got it in Cancun. thats how badly my skin reacts to sun. sun= instant liver spots + moles.

3 cheers to red hair.

Jen said...

Aim, knock it off! Just gain some weight and than your wrinkles don't show up so bad. I would trade my face in for yours anyday! Thanks for the research on what cream to use. I have always used Oil of Olay! You should do a poll to see what everyone uses that would be interesting to see! I remember someone once said to me to "Pull up my bootstraps, it's time to behave!" Love you