Today is my Mom's 65th Birthday. So I thought I would blog some great pictures and some thoughts that might spark a memory or two.
- Walking the ditch banks a mile a minute. As a little girl you really had to jog to keep up with her ferocious pace (especially for someone 5ft.3) Never mind all the dogs that knew she was coming. Yikes.
-There was (and is) only one woman I know who made her own suckers, would get into full clown costume (desitin included), and come to your school/seminary and deliver them to your whole class. Mind you it didn't have to be a holiday for her to make this performance.
- I haven't kept track, but I would be interested to know, how many times has Mom burned off her eyebrows and arm hairs and bangs? Anyone? And how about the time she burnt the weedy spot behind our garden and it got out of hand and took over that abandoned car.
-No one ever taught her about stranger danger. She'll talk to anyone- the waiter, the lady with the cute baby, the old man drunk on the sidewalk, the foreigner, but the best is when she talks to someone with an accent because she'll pick up their accent and use it as she talks to them.
- "The Obscene Phone Call" This is a favorite of mine. When Mom superglued her lips together (accidentally) and then proceeded to call Dad's office, only to have his secretary hang up on Mom several times since Mom was difficult to understand with her lips sealed shut!
-There's no one I know who can cheer as loudly as my Mother. You always know when she's there supporting you. (and she's no respecter of events either. she cheered me with full force as I downed a whole pie @ a Pioneer Pie eating contest)
-Who doesn't like to start their day to Mom's version of O Solo Mio?
What a gal. She's always good for a laugh, a water fight, a trip to town, or flower shopping.
I love you Mom, have a great day!







4 comments:
here here. Happy bday momacita. those are so perfect pictures. :) (and video)
I'm glad you finally decided Mom's bday was today and not the 25th too.
wonderful blog Amy. You mentioned so
many of her favorites things. It was fun to think of all the things she use to do growing up. Remember when we had her old bedspread on the tramp and we hid under it and she came and soaked us with the hose. Good times. I think that's why so many of us sing in our homes.
Just for the record, I read this yesterday AND today because I thought it brought out so many great memories of Mom. Mom has such a personality that when you think back on a memory you have, you'll always know if Mom was involved or not. You'll never say to yourself, "now, was Mom there or not?" You'll remember. She's so gun-ho about everything she does. I guess that's why we all turned out so good, she never drug her feet or hesitated giving us all she could. Thanks Mom!
And thanks Amy.
What funny stories. And boy does that clear up a few things. I love your mom, I think she is great!!
Post a Comment