3.13.2008

Memories

What did you love about growing  up on Sandy Glen Lane?










I loved that it always felt safe (except for dreaded Highland).
I loved riding our bikes up and down it, with no thought of cars, on our chalk city.
I loved that there were friends all around.
I loved that we burned our garbage in a can in the backyard.
I loved the big beautiful yards.
I loved the "country" feel.
I loved night games.
I loved playing in the ditch banks (snow in winter, water in summer)
I loved having sleep outs on the trampoline.
I loved the big garden that we "worked" in.

I loved a lot of things.
What a great place to grow up.
I hope my kids consider themselves as lucky.

6 comments:

Tonya said...

I loved it and still love it. So many memories on that lane. BUT - it is now too quiet as all the kids have grown.

Jen said...

OH how I loved it too Aim! I always like to go back and drive down the lane when I visit the Holyoaks! It was a great place to grow up! You hit on all the great things. I also liked playing night games with all our friends! What FUN!!!

Dallmann's said...

Although I didn't live on Sandy Glen lane I spent plenty of time there. I loved it too. I loved that it felt like the country. And I loved your house. It was always so organized and decorated to nice. Good times.

Molly Thorne said...

I feel so sad that I never see our house anymore. I would love to get together and go wonder through it. I wish we would have an old lane party. Is that picture recent, the trees seem so tall. I wish my kids could play in the house and yard I grew up in and know the Hansen's and Tuft's and Clarks's and I wish they could play in the blanket closet and ride their bikes down the lane and I wouldn't worry that much because all our neighbors are so nice and they probably all drive slower now days except for Susan Tuft. That's why I don't like to move, I never did and everyone knows everyone else so well, I want that for my kids.

JP Anderson said...

I feel very fortunate that I have close ties with Chay and his family and am able to visit there a couple times a year. If you've read my blog lately you'd see Chay and me in Burley, having one of the most memorable weekends of my life. I loved more than anything to ride my motorcycle up and down every dirt road and canal in the county and then, like many of you have mentioned, play night games. Chay and I even crept around the neighborhood one night, like we were going to toilet paper somebody, and slept out under the stars in his backyard with all the original Clark blankets. Maybe you'll remember the yellow handmade blanket with red circus pictures on it. Geez, this is going to count as MY blog!

Em said...

ah man. i was JUST musing last week to Shawn how I'm sad that our (future) children won't get to have the Burley childhood. And the funny thing is he stopped me when I mentioned all the great memories I had playing on the ditch banks. "Wait. you WANT your children to play in ditch banks?" ok, so maybe I don't now that I think about it, but when you think about waterskippers, forts, cows, and frogs it all seemed so innocent. To this day, hearing summer toads has to be the best nostalgic experience for me. Its like eating watermelon on the big red deck on a warm July night , where you hear the sprinklers 'chi chi ching' the night away, frogs in the ditch, dodging June bugs, and the quiet only a few miles of dirt can provide.

Oh. And I loved :
walking the dogs into a big-ol field an then just letting them run crazy, sleeping on the tramp, the weed-forts, the tree house "burning scandal", sleeping in the trundle, playing lost kids in the blanket closet, the Clark's play room, the Hansens stellar slide, the Tufts bologne sandwiches, and playing ninja turtles at the Atkins.

The place I grew up doesn't exist anymore. If I moved right back into that house today it would be but a shallow recreation of the pretty memories that only a kid can really hold on to. *sigh*. Lets pray our children can look back to their childhoods and say, "I'm so glad I grew up there."