I am new to the Scouting World.
When I went and picked up Asher's shirt, etc, etc, etc, the woman said,
"Are you the den leader?"
UH...No.
"How many boys do you have?"
3
"Oh, you will be."
So, this Friday is our first ever Blue and Gold Banquet.
Asher is excited. I'm wondering if I need to wear blue or gold?
He will be receiving his Bobcat, and a bead.
I took him to the gym with me a month ago or so to pass off some physical fitness requirements.
I can see how scouting helps build bonds with your boys, and helps build their self-esteem.
Between pack meeting, den meeting, banquets, day camps, hikes, etc. he will be kept pretty busy (as will we), but I think that is probably the point. They're giving these boys something to do that is worthwhile. I have found with my boys, in particular, if I don't give them something to do, they will find something to do that I may not really like (ie. wrestle each other mercilessly, jump off furniture).
So, now I have a question for all you former Scouts out there:
What did you get out of scouting?
What was your favorite part?
4 comments:
I guess this question is for me. Well.....I would have to say that scouting experiences are like missionary experiences in a way. When I think back at either, they seem like a different life I had. Thinking of one scout experience makes me think of all of them as if they all happened back to back over a few years of scout life. I'm sure Asher is in the same shoes I was in, in that all of his closest friends will be in scouts with him and make them even closer and lifelong friends. He'll learn who he can really trust, he'll see a different side of his friends that he normally wouldn't be able to, and he'll learn how to be a leader and also how to follow the right people. Camping trips and Scout Camps are some of the greatest experiences I ever had and they're one of those things you'll never be able to do again quite the same if you don't take advantage of them when they're offered. You gain new respect for those you might not know so well (Glen Gerish was so quite I'd never had gotten to know him had I not done scouting. He came out of his shell because of scouting), and sometimes you find out that you don't know somebody quite as well as you thought when things get rough or people get too comfortable and you might not like them as much. You find out better who you are and what you're capable of. You realize that adults have good advice and that nothing beats experience. Best of all, you are creating some of those "Golden Years" that you want for your kids and you smile every time you think of them. Just another one of the simple things in life that bring eternal happiness. Make sure he gets his Eagle, he'll regret if for the rest of his life if he doesn't. I'm confident he will though. And if you ever get the chance to be a Scout Leader, do it with all your heart. Alan Hunter is like a second father and a hero to me and so many others.
I didn't really spell check. ex. quite should be quiet
Me: Shawn what was your favorite part about scouts?
Shawn:"camping was kinda fun"
"getting merit badges wasn't very fun"
Me: Why?
Shawn: "Cuz it felt like a lot of work"
Me: thats it?
Shawn: "yah.pretty much just hikes and camping"
Me: Thats it?
Shawn: Yeah.
"I'm a girl MOm" voice of Amy! Now I'm laughing Aim - Now I'm really laughing! Shout out to Scouting Sister! Way to be a good Scout J.P.
Post a Comment