Insightful.
Remember when Asher was baptized? All in that one day Molly's baby was born, President Hinckley's funeral was given, and Asher was baptized. It gave such profound meaning to the day with new life, baptism and death. Well, my Dad's brother Jack passed away and his funeral was on Saturday and as we all know, today is Easter. Scott and I were able to attend the funeral as well as several of my other siblings. John was a pallbearer.

This is a picture of my Dad (top, far right) with his brother and sisters several years ago.
Now that Jack has passed he has 2 sisters living and they are both quite elderly (80's).
One of the neatest things at the funeral, was hearing my Dad speak. If you know my Dad he is a man of few words. He doesn't tell a lot of his "life stories", but when he does you soak it all up. He shared stories of Jack's younger years and the hardships they faced. He shared stories of 2 brothers being boys, Jack pumping him on his bike through Sardine canyon, and going hunting together. It was really great. You got the feeling that Dad was this little tag-a-long brother (7 years younger) who wanted to do everything his brother did. We all had a good laugh when he said, "I didn't like Madge(Jack's wife) when I first met her." He then followed with, "Because she took away my friend". It was really sweet. (As a sidenote, I have a journal entry relaying those same feelings when Jen got married). Anyhow, it was a very neat talk and a fitting tribute to his brother.
This was one of the neatest parts of the funeral. Because Uncle Jack served in the Navy during World War II he received a fitting burial by the Navy. This man above, played the bugle. It was beautiful. Then they neatly, carefully, almost sacredly I would say, folded the flag that draped the coffin and gave it to Jack's wife.
As we left I snapped this photo of Uncle Theone and Aunt Dena. They were so sweet holding hands during the funeral. They will be married 65 years soon. When I said hello to them at the funeral home Aunt Dena said, "You don't need all that hair, why don't you give me some?"
It was a nice funeral, but then things got ugly. You see Terri has this move she does to get in the back of minivans. It's called "gaposis". She attempts to keep one foot on the ground outside the van, but put her keester on the seat. Let's just say she's gotten guff for this before and it doesn't work so great. After she made her now famous quote (see left) her skirt ripppppped.
And so we proceeded to bring Scott and Terri some food out to the van since she could no longer be seen in public. You can always count on us Andersons for a good laugh.
When we got home we had our Easter Egg Hunt. This year we had it outside. The kids had a lot of fun.
We even used some new dye methods..rubberbands. It made some cool stripes on the eggs.
We had a wonderful Easter Sunday today. We even went on a family walk, thanks to the good weather.
7 comments:
thanks for posting that Aim - I hate missing these things and now I kinda feel like I was there! What a bittersweet day! Molly, said to me tonight while she was over for Zander's birthday cake and icecream that she thinks I should name our baby Jackson - since Uncle Jack just passed away and of course I do love that name that was one of the names I was going for with Zander. Anyhow, I do love to see pictures of all of that and even the great one of Ter with her gaposis issues! GEESH! That girl!! HEE HEE!
Thanks for that post! Love ya, JEN
that was good stuff amy. i was just talking to one of my friends and coworkers how i think i learned more about my father's youth in those 15 minutes than ever. i am really glad i came. plus i met a couple cousins I don't believe i've ever met, and Terry came over to marvel at John Anderson (the 3rd if you will). :)
i'm sorry i missed the gaposis. thats good stuff...
and....thats good stuff (just to make that a solid 3 times to say that)
Dang I wish I was there! I want that talk so I can read it! JOHN Anderson the 3rd - HUH! What's that all about?
I'm certainly glad that I was able to make the funeral myself. Dad's talk was definitely the highlight especially with his very rare stories he told. I wish I had brought a tape recorder. Well done Father!
the 3rd because he's the 3rd John Anderson in 3 generations jen. :)
I didn't know that! That's great! John Anderson the 3rd! Sounds important!
Post a Comment