September 11, 2001.
It's one of those days I'll never forget. I remember just where I was and what I was doing when I heard the terrible news. I remember the subsequent days of numbness, fear, anger, tears, sadness, and pride. I think it may be similar to our parents & grandparents emotions on December 7, 1941.
As this anniversary approached I spent time wondering how to make it significant to my children- some who were very small and some who weren't on this earth yet. I decided to make it a simple family affair. At dinner I asked the kids about September 11th. Only the oldest knew what happened on that day, so I explained what happened on September 11th, my feelings about that day and how I felt about being American. Then I put out the idea that we get up with Daddy at 5:30 and take our breakfast up to the top of the mountain behind our house.
This morning we were all up early, dropped Scotty off at the bus and got ourselves some "breakfast" at the store. Then we loaded up on our bikes and headed up the steep hills as high as we could go. We went to a great overlook point and laid out a blanket, enjoying the beauty of the lake, the mountains, and the sunrise. What a beautiful world we live in. Then we sang the chorus of Proud to be An American, and I reminded the children of the significance of this day. It was a good way for our family to remember those who died that day, those who sacrificed their lives for other's, those who are still making sacrifices for our country, and the freedoms we enjoy as Americans.
And I’m proud to be an American where as least I know I’m free.
And I won’t forget the men who died, who gave that right to me.
And I’d gladly stand up next to you and defend her still today.
‘Cause there ain’t no doubt I love this land God bless the U.S.A.


8 comments:
That is wonderful Aim! I wish I would have been there. I drove my girls to school this morning and cried every time I saw a flag . I love this land and feel so blessed to have my freedom!
Wow. This post was really somethin'--the words, the pictures, and especially the remembrance. Thank you for reminding me what we stand for.
Wow. What a great idea. You definitely win the best mom of that day award.
I feel many of us (people in general) let significant days like this pass us by without ever expressing our thoughts and feelings on the subject. To think about it to ourselves is one thing but if we don't put our thoughts to action through words or what may, those thoughts are never solidified as a part of us and definitely will never be apart of anyone else's lives. Well done Amy.
Amy you are such a good mom. That was such a great way to remember and teach your children about 9/11.
absolutly, unequivocally profound......
i give that a 9.67 on the awsome mom scale.
I feel the same way, go super Mom. You really went out of your way to make something worth remembering, in a positive light afterall.
And now I have a few new wonderful desktop wallpapers.
How fabulous Amy. I am so happy to be surrounded by so much goodness. What an inspiration you are. Thank you for the post
Post a Comment