9.27.2009

Taking it Back

I was trying to think of a blog title that would accurately express my emotions about this day. While rock climbing was never "taken away" per se, it has been something we haven't felt we could attempt for several years. At some point along those years it actually did feel like it was taken away, and we'd never be able to enjoy it again. I guess that was just my perspective. Today we took it back.


Scott circa 1997 climbing a 5.12b


Scotty was an awesome rock climber, just like he was awesome at all sports he tried.  As his girlfriend I, of course, took it up too. I wasn't awesome, but I enjoyed it and I got to spend more time with him in the beauty of canyons and cities of rocks.  After our breakfast in the canyon last week that we enjoyed so much as a family we talked about what we could do the next weekend together.  Rock climbing came to my mind.  Scott has all the knowledge and could safely belay us from a seated position with all his upper body strength.  So I mentioned it.  Scott thought it was a great idea.

I purchased a kid's harness and we headed up Rock Canyon early this morning.  It was full of BYU kids.  I have to admit I had a few moments where I felt out of place; herd of children, power wheelchair, baby in a stroller, certainly not at my physical peak. I put those thoughts aside, and we had a great time.  Scott has always done the lead climb to get our rope to the top, but it was me today.  Luckily I could climb around the backside of this mountain to thread the rope, it wasn't too treacherous, but it had me sweating.
As I headed up the mountain for the first time in about 9 years, I remembered all the things rock climbing can teach you.  Number one would have to be trust.  You have to trust the person belaying you, the rope, your gear.  As each child took a turn and we cheered them on past their fear and pushed them a little farther than they felt they could go I realized their sense of accomplishment when they achieved what they thought they could not.  Chloe particularly had a lot of fear at a certain height.  I told her to trust her Dad, he wouldn't let her fall.  She made it to her goal, and we all cheered for her.  Good life lessons taught on the mountain.

I'm so glad we took this back into our lives today and challenged all of us to step outside what's comfortable.   And really, nothing looks so awesome as a picture of yourself clinging to the side of a mountain!

6 comments:

Molly Thorne said...

That is so neat. I have never been rock climbing. You do come up with some great ideas for the fam.

shawn rowley said...

dammit i don't cry easily or for very long and i seldom swear...(shuddup scotty) but you really got me today. i'm gonna hafta change my shirt now and go to church, and try not to think of this untill i get home tonight, i only have a few church shirts and his one is wrecked for today.

bless you both, i pray you take back what is most important and keep it for ever

love you, S.

Katie said...

Inspiring. I am in tears. Thank you for sharing your experience with us.

Ging said...

Another incredibly inspiring post.The comments have also been thought- provoking and smile-inducing as well. When do we go next?

JP Anderson said...

What a brave family. The whole lot of you. That was inspiring. I was especially suprised and impressed by you Amy. You just strapped a pair on and headed right up the rock. Scott probably showed confidence in you but was thinking in his head, "what the heck am I letting her do?"

Kelly said...

Amy hand down you are the most amazing inspiring person I've ever known!!!