9.21.2009

Recipe to Get Away From It All

If you are feeling overwhelmed, flustered, bombarded,
 pulled in too many directions, shut in, then here's a quick fix. 

1. Alert the family that they will be arising early the next morning.
2. After all the little ones are tucked in their sweet beds, mix up a batch of yummy buttermilk pancake batter and put it in a ziploc bag.
3. Gather all needed cooking utensils/matches/newspaper and place in your van/car/bus.
4. Place about 400 wet wipes in the car.
5. Don't forget the camera to capture the joy.
6. Get some sleep and get up early the next morning.
7. Wake all the children and instruct them to get dressed and get in the van/car/bus. If any child appears grumpy encourage them not to talk to anyone.
8. Drive up to American Fork Canyon in the early morning light.
9. Find a secluded spot to make a campfire (this should be fairly easy considering what time it is).
10. Set the children free.  Run. Gather rocks. Dig. Climb. Find firewood.
11. Whip up a tasty campfire breakfast. (Google "ash" at home to find out if it causes cancer)
12. Sit and enjoy the quiet and beauty in the crisp air.















7 comments:

Unknown said...

You Anderson women are bionic! (look it up!)

Jen said...

OHH Amy -you are a great MOm! Looks like you guys had tons of fun - wish I lived closer I totally would have come along!

Calvin said...

I'm not sure I can ready anymore, I'm never going to be this good of a parent....

Anonymous said...

Wow that looks like it was awesome. I only wish that the canyon was close enough to campus that I could escape sometimes...

Denise said...

Are you kidding me? I can't even make pancakes before 9 am at home let alone up in the mountains. I'm with Calvin, I think I might stop reading just to save my already lacking mommy ego. But way to go, as D would say YOU ROCK MY WORLD!

Em said...

I love it! That sounded like so much fun Amy. I can't help but thinking about how things like this always get etched in kids minds as really magical times! So fun to have an early morning adventure w/ pancakes.

Ging said...

I'm stealing this one for my file on things to do. Don't forget to include the part about stopping at a really fantastic garage sale on the way home and allowing your children to stock-up on unnecessary plastic objects.