9.03.2009

Yellowstone

We got to enjoy Yellowstone in an RV with my parents this year. 
It really is my most favorite trip.  I love to be immersed in this untouched wilderness. 
As we drive through the park I imagine all the areas we cannot see, thick with trees, rushing waterfalls, hidden lakes and wild animals.  There is plenty you can see just from the roads and this year we fit in a few things we hadn't done before.

*A night of wild weather @ Henry's Lake and leeches too!
*We stayed at 3 different campgrounds and made the entire loop of the park.  We'd never been up to Mammoth before.  The terrain changed quite a bit and we were able to enjoy some large elk herds as they meandered through town. 
* We did some fishing on Yellowstone Lake.  It proved to be well worth it.  
* Walking through Lake Yellowstone Hotel and enjoying the architecture there. 
*We visited some waterfalls we hadn't seen and saw the petrified tree on the drive to Mammoth.
* We stopped at Mesa Falls on the way home.  

We also enjoyed some of the things you just can't miss like 
* Wilcoxson ice cream (Mom's favorite!)
* Shopping in West Yellowstone (don't forget the dollar store and the pizza place)
* Hiking the lower Falls Trail of the Grand Canyon of Yellowstone  w/ kids and Grandpa
* Hot dogs & S'mores by the campfire @ the Canyon Campground, always watching for "Scar Face" the bear to appear.























































6 comments:

Jen said...

I wish I could have been there! Those pictures are priceless! Who was that poking grandpas bald head! So cute!

shawn rowley said...

heluva cutthroat!

ilove that you were able to go and had so much fun.

Kelly Hill said...

what a beautiful post! we want to go there sometime. the kids have never been and it's been YEARS since i've been. one day.....

Em said...

ooooh. I am so intensely jealous. I need some Yellowstone in my life! I'm glad you made the journey and I'm extra glad you posted many ZOOMABLE pics for us to enjoy. Adventures are so fun.

Kelly said...

That looks so wonderful!! I'm so glad you guys got a chance to get away this summer.
I guess I won't say anything about the picture of you feeding your baby ice cream..oops, I just can't keep my mouth shut;)

Terri said...

ok I vote family reunion in yellowstone. Who is with me?? That sounded awesome and you will be our tour guide. What a great summer